Hybrid Turbo's...

Shy19s

Oil running through my veins.
Reaction score
Allo chaps.. hope all is well..

Just a quick question, for those who have hybrid turbos or know about them.. 3 of my friends now have had their oil seals go in the turbos.. is this a common problem with hybrids? Or could this just be unlucky/poor quality turbos, etc?

Shy

Shy
my hybrid has been all good so far mate touch wood what hybrids were they using and where from?
I think a lot of the time people try to push them too far and run silly boost thats when they start to go wrong, not saying thats what they have done just from other experience

be interesting to no where they got there hybrids from as im looking at going hybrid turbo soon so would definantly avoid the ones that tend to fail

I have had chats with plenty of companies. Turbos work by a balance between the flow coming in and the flow going out. Standard Turbos need some back pressure to work to the best capacity. The seals in the Turbo ie to stop oil leaking through work by using the back pressure from the exhaust and manifold. Taking this back pressure away ends in oil leaking through the seal into the exhaust resulting in Blue/White/Grey smoke and a burning smell. A good well made Hybrid should have uprated seals and gaskets so they can perform better with little back pressure. Cheaper is not always better!!!
Sounds like these Turbos have standards seals.
A Turbo is like a candle turn it up or take away all back pressure it will spool quicker but burn out quicker. Getting the right balance is the key.

I know of a few turbo failures...
Most are down to the thing running too hot. or the exhaust housing cracking.which is largely down to over heating or it not being looked after.
The problem with most hybrid turbos... well, The core of the unit is too small for much work to allow big seals ( although a well built one will have the best they can fit in the limited room ) so they wear fast if pushed too hard,
Some companys keep costs down by using more of the used parts from your unit they may in others eyes should have been replaced.
The other problem is... the internal wastegate on a k04 isnt very big leading to problems with boost creep if not mapped very well .
You pays your money and takes your choice,
But remember... any of them will see 300+ hp a few times if your lucky, Try and get it to run 320 day in day out... you will need an account with a turbo rebuild company.

I have had chats with plenty of companies. Turbos work by a balance between the flow coming in and the flow going out. Standard Turbos need some back pressure to work to the best capacity. The seals in the Turbo ie to stop oil leaking through work by using the back pressure from the exhaust and manifold. Taking this back pressure away ends in oil leaking through the seal into the exhaust resulting in Blue/White/Grey smoke and a burning smell. A good well made Hybrid should have uprated seals and gaskets so they can perform better with little back pressure. Cheaper is not always better!!!
Sounds like these Turbos have standards seals.
A Turbo is like a candle turn it up or take away all back pressure it will spool quicker but burn out quicker. Getting the right balance is the key.
so after doing your reserch who did you get your hybrid from??