HVAC fresh air/recirculation air flap motor adaptation

bx3m

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I really need your help... The situation is as follows:
1. Had some errors on the fresh air motor/recirculation air flap motors, both of them were closing and opening fine, there was an issue with intermediary positions, enough to throw an error. Basic adapation was working fine, but there was an error. So, I thought that this is why the auxiliary (electric) heater was not starting when cold, and bought some motors SH.
2. Changed the motors today :icon thumright:
3. By the service manual, next thing is try to perform basic settings - no luck, stopping with "Unknown" status. Done it few times, every time, same story, I can watch the flaps starting to move, then error.
4. Had a crazy idea of resetting all adaptations on HVAC system... This one went well :sign wow:
5. Still unable to perform basic settings... Now, reading values, I can see the value stored for both closed and open for these 2 motors = 10000 :sign unfair:
So, how to re-adapt these motors? Is there any physicall action required, like pull or push on the flap while it is doing something? What/where/how? Damn my little brain dwarf, pushing me into all these damned things... So, help ?!?!?

I know the motors need to be fitted in a certain motor position in line with the levers positions so to speak or they wont calibrate to the full movement back & forth, ideally when fitting replacements the motor, cog positions should be in the same position as the old ones, comparison side by side is needed, this may be the reason, just to note.

Well, they do, but this is no longer dependant on a certain flap position. Any which way it is, it can be removed (the motor), you just need to place it back in the same position. In the meantime, the problem was solved, I visited a guy with ODIS, and he was able to calibrate them properly, but only after a few hours of replacing the motors one with another, errors, failed basic settings by VCDS... In the end, he did it with ODIS and only by LIN communication, not UDS... So, problem solved, and it looks like after such an operation you need this tool and someone that knows how to use it :Grey B7:

Bizarre, as vcds usually works, at least it works now.