How to turn ESP off?

Fin_turbo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 2010 2.0 TDI sportback and for some reason I cannot turn ESP off from the button. I get the ASR off but not ESP. I have tried to push it longer but still nothing happens. Does anyone have same problem or know what to do?

It’s one in the same from a changeover that happened in early 2010.
Prior to this you’d hold the button which would deactivate ESP and ASR.
I have MY61 and went through the same research which identified this. Pressing the button and getting the orange warning is all we have.

Reactions: nluk100
It’s one in the same from a changeover that happened in early 2010.
Prior to this you’d hold the button which would deactivate ESP and ASR.
I have MY61 and went through the same research which identified this. Pressing the button and getting the orange warning is all we have.
What happens when the button is entirely disconnected? I’m not suggesting you’ll get a prompt esp disabled but could you drive and confirm if it’s the case.

In theory nothing as the circuit is open. The signal hasn’t been sent to disable esp.

In theory nothing as the circuit is open. The signal hasn’t been sent to disable esp.
Oh right

on the cars I work on we design it to monitor the presence the switch and if it’s not present it turns ABS/DSC/SCS off 100% off since it’s considered a fault.

kind of like the passenger airbag switch situation

I only said in theory, I’m probably wrong.

But I have a question. Why would you design something that is a safety feature to disable if a switch is missing? Surely it would be better for it to be on? Genuine question out of curiosity

Legal requirements mandate to provide a means to turn it off DSC, and if the mechanism is in fault then the customer must be altered via the HMI on the cluster (ABS lamp).
The defaulting to off condition is just what ended up being implemented, because when you’re really stuck that’s when you would go to use the button to turn off and as you know if the turn off button isn’t working then you’re still stuck)

An update to this. I had a scheduled service today and heard that the problem in my car is in ABS module It cannot be modified to disable ESP He said the only option is to change the module if I want enjoy driving without ESP..

In OBDEleven they have an app to control the behaviour of the "ESP" off button, but its said to work only with certain ABS modules. At least the one in my car is listed as not allowing ESP off, only ASR. I searched on that issue quite a bit since I wanted to have some winter fun but no luck...

It still slides on power but if angle is too much ABS kicks in and straigthen the car up.

In OBDEleven they have an app to control the behaviour of the "ESP" off button, but its said to work only with certain ABS modules. At least the one in my car is listed as not allowing ESP off, only ASR. I searched on that issue quite a bit since I wanted to have some winter fun but no luck...

It still slides on power but if angle is too much ABS kicks in and straigthen the car up.
Install a switch to kill steering wheel angle power/signal :)

might need to recalibrate each time but no big deal

Reactions: lafa3ro and George Kost