How to install RS3 paddles on a facelift S3

Lehn

Reaction score
Hi all

So, yesterday I installed a pair of RS3 paddles in my S3. What I thought would be a fairly easy job turned out to be quite a struggle.

I'm making this thread because the FL steering wheel is different from the pre-FL steering wheel (I wish I would have known this before starting).

First I will like to make a shout out to @zcspec for making this great video of his pre-FL S3. If you have a pre-FL this is all you need but if you have a FL like me I would suggest you to first watch the below video and then read on and take note of my experiences. This is basically just an addition to this video to explain it with the FL in mind.

First, the airbag is a PITA to get out! It took me more than half an hour and compared to the pre-FL the locking system is just ridiculous.

You need to understand how the locking mechanism works so you have to watch this video (I suggest to start unlocking the right spring that connects to two points).

FUXaIBz

Information kindle borrowed from this thread: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/764164-2017-8V-Facelift-A3-S3-Steering-Wheel-Removal

Use a medium sized screw driver, without scratching anything, and then try to feel the spring by moving it back an forth inside the hole while putting some pressure on the direction you have to push the springs - you will hear the "click click click" when you rub the screwdriver against the springs. I did the mistake to push the screwdriver too far in making it impossible to put pressure on the springs. When you feel the metal from the screwdriver touching the metal on the spring you know you're doing something right.

It's hard to see everything in the video so I'll just post some more pictures to show the inside of the steering wheel. This will help you understand the video even better.

Image of the airbag with connections.
IMG 2583 Custom

Backside of the airbag. The yellow plug is positioned at the top. (You can see on the left spring that I broke a little plastic part off that keeps the center of the spring in place. Luckily this didn't had any affect on the reassembly)
IMG 2575 Custom

The black trim with all the connections marked. You can you a smaller flat head screwdriver to lift these while pulling the trim piece out (you need to use some force here). I'll suggest to start at the top and then to one of the sides.
IMG 2577 Custom

This is how the snap looks in the soft rubber.
IMG 2580 Custom

Overview before removing the old paddles.
IMG 2579 Custom

Left paddle in place - what a difference!
IMG 2581 Custom

The morning after and I'm very happy! The paddles feels 2-3mm shorter (to the sides) but this might just be because they have another feel. I'll try to massure this when I get home later.
IMG 2600 Custom

Here are the paddles before assembly. They have part no. 8W0 951 523 S (8W0.951.523.S). Keep your eyes out on eBay for these, I was lucky to get this pair for £60 all included from Germany.
IMG 2569 Custom

Again a big thanks to @zcspec for making the video in the first place!

Over and out
/Lehn

Last edited:
Reactions: s3mad_dude, AlS3BE, Schizophonic and 3 others
This looks like a old thread, but hope my question can be answered:

My right (+) paddle broke. I don't know why but the upper plastic hinge broke. So it doesn't work properly anymore.

I want to replace them and maybe upgrade them for nicer models.

I see 3 different o.e.m. models:
-stock A3, like @Lehn and mine
-rs3 models, 8W0951523S like on the above photos from @Lehn
- models with an opening on top. 8W0951523AD. What models are this??

Are above 3 models all o.e.m. options I have?
What would you guys recommend for my facelift 2017 A3 E-TRON?
(Trying to buy locally over here in The Netherlands)

So the paddles with the opening on top are EARLIER models? Reading the topic in your above link says those are the newest models...?

Best to buy then from the dealer or another (Dutch) place?