How to fill dash hole

SnazzyWafles

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've retro fitted the car to double din but all the extra harness are taking up so much space. In the end I had to remove the cardholder. Any idea what I could put in there instead? I was thinking about trying to put another set of buttons in or have any of you got a good idea :whistle2:

you shouldnt have to do that mate. I've gone double din too and there were a million cables and boxes behind as i went the chinese android headunit route, just pull out your aircon unit there is some space behind there, just persevere, took me like 40 mins to get it all back in, but looks smart

I'll give it a go, I've got one of those non air con heater controls instead so theres not much space behind there. I'll give it a go though. Still open to weird and wonderful ideas!

Remove the glove box and see if you can move some of the loom over that way

there should also be a little space above in-between the two vents, think my canbus adapter is stuffed up there

TKvwjMr.jpg

Here's the hole, I'm thinking about putting another row of buttons in there but I don't have a clue what they could be for. I can find custom left and right ones, but all the center buttons seem to be esp?

TKvwjMr.jpg

Here's the hole, I'm thinking about putting another row of buttons in there but I don't have a clue what they could be for. I can find custom left and right ones, but all the center buttons seem to be esp?

Also whats the headunit for this? link?

i would suggest download nova launcher APK, looks much better then i run poweramp app for music and navmii for offline satnav

Reactions: SnazzyWafles
Very nice. In total how much did all the parts cost? And was it hard to do the conversion ?

@millsy4002 would you suggest any other apps? I'd love to be able to screen mirror my LG G4 and or get spotify working properly, not just pause play skip forward etc.

@slizza786 Parts came around £340 for the unit, £40 for some adapters, then £80 for the parts required to do the double din (I cut my unit down to save money).

As far as fitting went it was a royal pain in the ****. It took me and the girlfriend's dad a good two days to get it all fitted and working. The main issues we faced was getting the rear amp working and getting the heater controls to fit. I have a heater non ac so there are actual metal cables running to my cars vents. It would probably be a lot easier if your car is AC.

Next job is to retrofit some custom led lighting, piggybacking off the now unused ashtray cable. It should work? :whistle2:

Reactions: slizza786
@millsy4002 would you suggest any other apps? I'd love to be able to screen mirror my LG G4 and or get spotify working properly, not just pause play skip forward etc.

@slizza786 Parts came around £340 for the unit, £40 for some adapters, then £80 for the parts required to do the double din (I cut my unit down to save money).

As far as fitting went it was a royal pain in the ****. It took me and the girlfriend's dad a good two days to get it all fitted and working. The main issues we faced was getting the rear amp working and getting the heater controls to fit. I have a heater non ac so there are actual metal cables running to my cars vents. It would probably be a lot easier if your car is AC.

Next job is to retrofit some custom led lighting, piggybacking off the now unused ashtray cable. It should work? :whistle2:
In theory yeah should work of you could splice the power from the interior light dome?

Well the cable to the ashtray is already free and sits smack bang under the center console, my only worry is if it will be able to handle a few led strips? Ideally I want the led's to be on when ever the interior lights are on, wouldn't the dome just switch on when the doors opened?

@SnazzyWafles you got the bose set up?

thats the main two i use really bud, poweramp (paid version about £3) has a nice layout and can just swipe to skip tracks which is safer than looking for a touch screen next button

ive stuck a 32gb micro SD in the front and a 128gb usb and routed the lead to my ashtray delete cubby hole. tons of storage

@SnazzyWafles you got the bose set up?

thats the main two i use really bud, poweramp (paid version about £3) has a nice layout and can just swipe to skip tracks which is safer than looking for a touch screen next button

ive stuck a 32gb micro SD in the front and a 128gb usb and routed the lead to my ashtray delete cubby hole. tons of storage
On poweramp where do you go to allow a press on the back button to restart the current songs its playing rather than playing the previous song on the playlist?

Well the cable to the ashtray is already free and sits smack bang under the center console, my only worry is if it will be able to handle a few led strips? Ideally I want the led's to be on when ever the interior lights are on, wouldn't the dome just switch on when the doors opened?
Well I would think that the LEDs would turn on when the doors are open but also when the interior dome light is turned on too

@millsy4002 no I've just got the standard half amp setup. I'll get myself a SD card then and look into storing spotify locally.

@slizza786 I'll probably end up wireing them to the ashtray as I only want them to come on when the rest of the dash is lit up. I'm going for a under-glow effect ideally. I'll probably pop up a picture or two when there done, might be a few weeks though.

trust me with the full bose setup its a massive headache, took me over 3 weeks to get it right lol splitting looms, ground loop isolators, line out converters and modding PCB's. im half about as im a electrical engineer but would i recommend anyone without a decent electrical knowledge, NO WAY!!!

think you can only take the unit up to 32gb on the micro sd card but the usb input on the back goes much higher, not enough juice to run a hard drive as my 1TB was having none of it though but went with this instead, works fine

Amazon product

seems ok sat outside my house connected.

as for my phone dont know as my wifi is knackered but getting a Iphone 6s on friday so will try the tethering then.

got the unit for its offline capabilities really

does the unit feel laggy/sluggish at all? so tempted to get one of these or similar, But I just wonder if it feels like a satnav and is laggy, Rather Bodge an iPad in one someway :p

Id say its pretty speedy to be honest, the ui isnt laggy at all. It does take maybe 3 seconds to load larger apps i.e. maps. It acts like any mid/high level tablet.

Nice to see more Android head units here! Here's one I installed recently. Was meaning to do a review of this, but things keep getting in the way :)

Reactions: Smir
same here @leshkin

many many of these units around from multiple sellers, most are dual core but the ones me, leshkin and snazzywaffles have are quad core.

Nice to see more Android head units here! Here's one I installed recently. Was meaning to do a review of this, but things keep getting in the way :)

that one looks a little more OEM-like, its nice! does it have USB function? can see the SD Slots at the front.

What GPS Software does it use?

that one looks a little more OEM-like, its nice! does it have USB function? can see the SD Slots at the front.

What GPS Software does it use?

Yes, it has two USB ports at the back and two SD card slots.

GPS Software? Anything that runs on Android can run on this HU - Google Maps, Waze, Here Maps as well as offline GPS apps.

Yes, it has two USB ports at the back and two SD card slots.

GPS Software? Anything that runs on Android can run on this HU - Google Maps, Waze, Here Maps as well as offline GPS apps.
ah I see what is the GPS SD Slot for? or is that just another SD Slot?

ah I see what is the GPS SD Slot for? or is that just another SD Slot?
It's for the original Navi app that came with the standard operating system. I installed a modified version, so no longer need that slot for GPS maps and it's just extra storage now.

Reactions: Smir
cut the card holder, and stick just the front on?

leshkins unit looks similar to the rnse and my style is same as concert/chorus

haha yeah his unit has higher res but mine clearly has better tunes on it lol

leshkins unit looks similar to the rnse and my style is same as concert/chorus

haha yeah his unit has higher res but mine clearly has better tunes on it lol
Sorry, couldn't find Celine Dion's greatest hits on Google Music

Here you go guys, apologies but its not really been set up yet so its missing music on usb and various car apps like torque

Reactions: leshkin