How often to replace coolant in S1

It's a long life coolant. The S1 workshop manual mentions nothing about life. You should keep an eye on the silica bag in the coolant bottle though as if they burst it can block the heater matrix.

It's probably moot, as on an EA888 you will be replacing the thermostat/water pump before the coolant has expired and will need to refill from scratch anyway.

Thanks Phazer.
Coolant is down to min level when cold, I'd like to top it up. Head down to dealer, the only coolant available is G12Evo, is it safe to mix G12Evo with G13 in S1 ?

Thanks Phazer.
Coolant is down to min level when cold, I'd like to top it up. Head down to dealer, the only coolant available is G12Evo, is it safe to mix G12Evo with G13 in S1 ?
Pretty sure it's a G12 variant originally and then possibly later G13. G12+ and G13 are ok to mix. However, G12Evo is the replacement for both G12 and G13 so that makes life easy :)

Reactions: ecsk
A late reply, but I've replaced the coolant in my February 2011 S4 that had only run 28K miles from new until when I replaced the coolant, I had been monitoring and recording the ph level and the freezing point at each service and it had not changed by much over that time and miles - I bought a container of "coolant test strips" in from USA a few years ago, and okay they are now past their "use by" date, but I still trust them.
I just bought a vacuum coolant refill kit and a box of G12evo.
My wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS has G13 in its system, and I don't trust that version of coolant so if the plastic parts do not fail in the next year, I'll be replacing that G13 with G12 evo - I have noticed a quick and continuing movement of the ph level in that car's coolant towards being ACID, so that is another reason why I want or need to replace it.
In my mind it was easy when all engines had a cam belt and a cam driven coolant pump that it was wise to replace every 2 cam belts, so that meant that the coolant only lasted 8 or 10 years, now with some engines having chains and others having "long life" cam belt drives AND a remote water pump, it probably means some "thinking" by concerned owners.

rum4mo, you are so scientific to check ph level of coolant :thumbs up:

Hi Folks,
What's the story with the theromstat / water pump on the EA888 engines?
Was / is there a recall on them ?
If so which variants of S1 with EA 888 are involved?
Thanks
Mike

Hi Folks,
What's the story with the theromstat / water pump on the EA888 engines?
Was / is there a recall on them ?
If so which variants of S1 with EA 888 are involved?
Thanks
Mike
Definitely no recall and seem to affect all of them regardless which car it fitted in. I believe it even affected the 1.8 engine as well.
mine went at around 3.5-4 years old just outside factory warranty but luckily I had an extended warranty which covered it otherwise it’s like £1000+ job at the dealers.

Yup, every single EA888 Gen3. They're on about revision "P" of the part and they've still not got it right :( It will fail, so best to accept that and be prepared to deal with it.

Audi charge around 800 quid, independents 500-600

Mine leaked and emmitted steam so I had it replaced with an INA unit in March 2020, been leak free since then

My S1 has sprung a leak, it appears to be from beneath the T piece on the return pipe to the resevoir at the back of the engine close to the turbo, any clues/tips ? Is this a common fault ?

Leak was traced to the coolant pipe breather union, another plastic part that IMHO should be made of metal

Reactions: Phazer
Yup, every single EA888 Gen3. They're on about revision "P" of the part and they've still not got it right :( It will fail, so best to accept that and be prepared to deal with it.

Audi charge around 800 quid, independents 500-600

Given they all fail sooner or later is it worth changing the pump whilst refreshing the coolant? Would be just my luck for the pump to go just after putting fresh coolant in it lol.

Given they all fail sooner or later is it worth changing the pump whilst refreshing the coolant? Would be just my luck for the pump to go just after putting fresh coolant in it lol.
Yes definitely, it's a pig of a job to do yourself or an expensive one to pay for so best to do both together.