How many Litres of oil does the on screen indicator indicate?

J305

Reaction score
After 500 Miles after a service of driving in my 1.8tfsi, it's consumed this much, is this normal?

Oil level check on MMI   2009 US spec S5

I think it's normally around a litre

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sandra
I think you both mean litre. Lol @ the spelling mistakes guys. :)

Reactions: J305, EXSpartan36 and jdp1962
If i remember correctly the sump takes around about 5 litres total, the on screen gauge shows 1 litre and you get a warning once that litre has gone to chuck a top up bottle in there

Reactions: J305
If i remember correctly the sump takes around about 5 litres total, the on screen gauge shows 1 litre and you get a warning once that litre has gone to chuck a top up bottle in there

Thanks, so after doing 500 miles, around 1/5th has gone right? 2000 - 2500 miles per litre , was worried I have the oil consumption defect :(

Reactions: jdp1962
Good to know that, I'd thought it was full 5 litres. I was wondering why mine was still full after 1000 miles . mind this means it's not used any and would show more to relative use of 1L .
So seems my 2010 is fine , and luckily my 2004 2.0t was fine as well .
Out of interest is it only some of the 2004 - 2012 2.0tfsi suffer from the oil consumption issue?
I know there are a lot with the problem , but is it only some cars , and more the way the engines were put together rather than sub standard metal in piston rings or only some batches of the piston rings?

You might even find that that level has changed the next time you check it if ambient conditions are different.

Question:- the past two times that I have dragged my 2011 S4 out for its exercises, during each run, I've been handed out that "oil level okay" display for a few seconds. Over the previous 3.5 years that I've owned that car, I have never seen that being issued and if I wanted to use the built in oil level monitor, I had to manually request an oil level check. I do have a dip stick fitted though for peace of mind. Is this something that Audi has programmed in for lazy people that never check their oil level, ie if you don't request a level check regularly, it will give you one?

You might even find that that level has changed the next time you check it if ambient conditions are different.

Question:- the past two times that I have dragged my 2011 S4 out for its exercises, during each run, I've been handed out that "oil level okay" display for a few seconds. Over the previous 3.5 years that I've owned that car, I have never seen that being issued and if I wanted to use the built in oil level monitor, I had to manually request an oil level check. I do have a dip stick fitted though for peace of mind. Is this something that Audi has programmed in for lazy people that never check their oil level, ie if you don't request a level check regularly, it will give you one?
That's quite cool if it does display to people that don't check it regularly .
Mines has been showing completely full for last 2 months since I got it. Starting to think sensor isn't working! But like I said my previous one
oil level on dipstick never really changed either. I never had to top it up in 5 years. only did oil changes every 10k.
Hopefully I'm lucky with both

I used to have from new a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion 2.8V6 - ie same roughly as Audi B5 A4, and it liked a bit of oil, got my wife a new late 2002 VW Polo 1.4 16V and it liked a bit of oil, which was a bit annoying as we had moved from a 1991 VX Cav GSI 4X4 2000 and a 1999 Ford Fiesta 1.6SI - and they and all previous cars basically used no oil! Now my 2011 Audi S4 and wife's 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110 don't use any oil, so my stock of empty oil cans is running down, but hey, you can't have everything!

I use a dipstick on mine. That way, I can check the condition of the oil as well as the level. :)

Reactions: Bristle Hound

Mine does it now and again, I believe there is a sensor of some sort in the engine bay that will flash up the oil level when you open your bonnet. I'm guessing this takes a knock now and again so flashes up the level

Mine does it now and again, I believe there is a sensor of some sort in the engine bay that will flash up the oil level when you open your bonnet. I'm guessing this takes a knock now and again so flashes up the level

You have just made me think a bit more about this, since maybe last 18 months my S4 when left in the garage, is left with the bonnet open and connected to a CTEK battery maintenance unit, so yes, every time I take it out for a drive, I have just closed the bonnet! Never thought about that before, as well as the fact that I've got a CTEK unit connected to it, the other reason that the bonnet stays open is because once I had a field mouse attack the foam round the rear most end of the bonnet area, so I've got a "rodent annoyer" plugged into the wall beside the car and so I leave the bonnet open to maximise its potential!

Edit:- the nasty but unfortunate field mouse family fell fowl of my baited traps, only ever had this happen once over the period of 20+years in this house, even had an attack on the Ibiza parked outside the garage, similar closed foam seals, but not on wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS parked in garage beside the S4 !?!

Reactions: xpoweruk
I use a dipstick on mine. That way, I can check the condition of the oil as well as the level. :)
+1 as well, though I'm not checking the condition of the oil as I don't run enough miles and never use that car for short journeys - what a waste of a car?

You have just made me think a bit more about this, since maybe last 18 months my S4 when left in the garage, is left with the bonnet open and connected to a CTEK battery maintenance unit, so yes, every time I take it out for a drive, I have just closed the bonnet! Never thought about that before, as well as the fact that I've got a CTEK unit connected to it, the other reason that the bonnet stays open is because once I had a field mouse attack the foam round the rear most end of the bonnet area, so I've got a "rodent annoyer" plugged into the wall beside the car and so I leave the bonnet open to maximise its potential!

Edit:- the nasty but unfortunate field mouse family fell fowl of my baited traps, only ever had this happen once over the period of 20+years in this house, even had an attack on the Ibiza parked outside the garage, similar closed foam seals, but not on wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS parked in garage beside the S4 !?!

I've had some sort of rodent attack the foam on mine as well, little ********!

I've had some sort of rodent attack the foam on mine as well, little ********!

You would think that VW Group would have included some form of bitrin etc into all the foam, so that these will beggars go "oh boak, I'll leave this one alone" ? Maybe Audi and SEAT need to talk to the VW cars people!

I almost exploded when I discovered the attack on my S4, very annoying to find it on the Ibiza, but when I found it on the S4 in the garage, it was - find/bait/set my two mouse traps, buy four more traps bait/set, lay down bait to help them have a feast then die in their sleep, buy a rodent "annoyer", and finally, buy a bait box for outside the garage so that they might get their last full tummy before going into the garage - yes I was more than annoyed!!!!

So, now when I'm working under a car and feet get in the wrong places, there are "snaps" - oh, another trap tripped by me!