Facelift How fast or slow do S3 depreciate?

Masslob

Reaction score
As great as leasing on pch like renting its kind of dead money, the 12K this one will cost me could have already paid for a quarter of the car if i had bought it

So for my next one im considering pcp or even a loan, im aware cars will always depreciate but at different rates. Im hoping that S3s given they are rarer, desirable and not affordable for the masses that they hold their value well. That would make me more comfortable owning one knowing that what ive paid back isnt double what the cars worth at the end.

Any opinions?

If you're worried about depreciation, don't buy the car. Buy it to enjoy it. If you want to invest, buy a Cossie or another house or something.

Reactions: AudiNutta and OST
i dont mind depreciation, if its a couple of grand a year...if it will be worth half in two years then id be worried!

It's fairly in line with other audi's, which in turn are slightly better than 'cooking brands' like ford etc. Expect to retain about 50%-60% of value at trade in after 3 years. Usually its about 25% after year 1, and year 2 and 3 are another 10-15%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Daveotto
After hard negotiations I got my S3 for about £28,500 in March 2015. In April this year Audi offered £22k, a month later £19k!!!! Mike Brewer cars are offering £21,500

The best bet for depreciation is to buy a new model - which will still be current in say 3 years (or when you want to sell it).

If you buy a runout model (even with discounts) - it will look very dated if you come to sell it in a few years and everyone is used to the replacement - with the latest tech etc.

Reactions: Milnesafc
Your S3 will have lost a lot of money in its first year after that it begins to slow down,in my honest your throwing your money away mate keep the car for a couple of years,dont buy another face lift car with fancier options on it....

All new cars attract 20% VAT. You need to deduct this to get a true idea of depreciation.

I've rewritten my reply a couple of times - I don't wanna upset you but the idea the S3 is rarer, I'm not so sure.

Given how many I see on my travels I'd be inclined to say Audi make this model particular achievable with their finance options as a lead (wouldn't say loss leader but I suspect the margin is adequate they've plenty of flexibility) in to the 'prestige' of the brand, you get a practical car with the cache of owning an 'S' for relatively little money in comparison to anything else on offer from the Sport division - and I discount the S1 immediately as it's an entirely impractical (my view obviously) car and I think the ideal market for is as a second/third/fourth 'fun' car

Controversial statement I know especially given how the Golf is valued throughout the world but the Audi marketing machine is very clever and has a certain 'pull'

Personally I'd expect values to plummet - take a look at previous generation S3s as an example. Then take a look at equipment that then comes as standard on facelift models (despite the book price increase you know that'll get eradicated during negotiation and the residual will be similar anyway)

And yes, I'm bold enough to say that having received my car at the exact and quite extravagant specification I wanted. The kicker, I am looking to own the car outright in the long term and he finance packaged was attractive enough to me.

My 2c

PS - get the car, enjoy it. :)

Reactions: richinsoton and KenL
Car manufacturers make the biggest margin on the top spec models. In real terms the build cost is the same no matter which spec you have, the only cost differences come down to the available options which cost a fraction of the price charged to the customer.

Here in Italy it depreciates very very fast. Also because here we have an additional tax for cars >245 HP. Owning an S3 in Italy is very very expensive nowadays. I paid mine 42k € in 2014, now Audi buy it back for 21k €.

Your S3 will have lost a lot of money in its first year after that it begins to slow down,in my honest your throwing your money away mate keep the car for a couple of years,dont buy another face lift car with fancier options on it....

My issue is less whether I will get another s3 (latest model or not) but the whole ownership Vs lease. Lease is great as you don't have to worry about deprecation but like rent you are paying indefinitely and never owning at the end
Let's say I lease for 8 years. .that will be 48k I'd of dropped that I could have actually bought that car.

We paid 66k Aud in march 2015. Sold for 40k couple weeks ago. So 40% depreciation in 2 years. I'd say 50% after 3 years so depreciates fast. Many cars seem to hold 50% value 5-6 years later.

Prob hurt us having new model out. We're now leasing FL model which is much better for us.

Most here were bought for 70-75k with PP, sunroof and sell for high 40s. But trade price for same about 40. (We didn't have PP or sunroof)

We paid 66k Aud in march 2015. Sold for 40k couple weeks ago. So 40% depreciation in 2 years. I'd say 50% after 3 years so depreciates fast. Many cars seem to hold 50% value 5-6 years later.

Prob hurt us having new model out. We're now leasing FL model which is much better for us.

Most here were bought for 70-75k with PP, sunroof and sell for high 40s. But trade price for same about 40. (We didn't have PP or sunroof)

What's PP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im guessing (hoping) you mean aussie dollars and not gbp! You must have seen an extra options list otherwise with ejector seats and all sorts

That would make me more comfortable owning one knowing that what ive paid back isnt double what the cars worth at the end.

Any opinions?

You will end up typically paying double what the car is worth in the end if purchasing.

Fag box maths;

£35k purchase price
£3k interest over 3 years
Total cost £38k

Typical resale value @ 3 yrs = £20k ish.

Despite this, I always buy the car whether it's a loan, HP, or saving to pay off the balloon on PCP (my current option).

This is obviously more costly than leasing/PCP hand back.
But personally, I would sooner be lobbing £800 pm and own my M2 after 3 years - than say 5punk £800pm leasing a 911 and own nothing at the end.

I will then do the same to own my next car (911?), with My (owned) M2 as a sizeable p/x.

Basically, treat it similar to property. Rent something more up market, or get a mortgage on something less salubrious.... and work your way up.

Obviously you need the available extra monthly income to buy the car, rather than lease it.
And most people would sooner lease the (better) car now and stick 2 fingers up to the future.

Personal circumstances/preferences and all that.

Reactions: Joe4842
@Masslob you would not be leasing the same car for 8 years and that is the main difference. If you do the calc with a change or two, then it becomes more comparable.
Also, S3s are far for rare and a lot of that is down to PCP. I got one of the first S3 saloons and the monthly PCP was over £100 cheaper on the S3 than an A3 2l tdi, mainly down to the final value difference.

Yes I wouldn't be leasing the same car but that's still 48k I've paid and had nothing to show for it (other than driving great new cars for 8 years) at least if I bought the car for the same amount the payments would stop after X time and I'd own the car at the end. Decisions decisions...

A PCP works for me as I don't want to keep a car for more than 3 years.

If the deposit and monthlies work for me and I like/want the car then I couldn't give a rats **** how much it will be worth when I move it on ! :grinning:

I bought a one year old S3 with a bank loan. The spec pushed the list price up to about £36k and I made a substantial saving when I bought it. With a loan at 3 points, the sums worked out for me but there are always variables to consider that will be personal to you.