how can you tell if your phone is broadband

205man

Reaction score
is there away of testing/telling if the phone line in your house is already set up for broadband?

my friends have just moved into there new house, and there son want to go on xbox live.

they have a computer of course but arent setting it up until they build they have the extension finished, they didnt ask when they bought the house and the people they bought of are away on holiday

so if there a quick/simple way to tell.?

i woul dof thought if they were on broadband then they would have needed filters on the phone line for the phone to work, but they dont and there phone works

alan

I doubt they would have broadband, and even if they did, they would still need to know which ISP they are on, along with the esername and password for it all to work!

On a broadband line you don't need filters for the phone to work providing your computer isn't connected via broadband. As soon as you connect your computer, you will need the filters to use the phone. So the fact that the phone works without filters doesn't prove anything.

If the house has a BT phone line, then yes it is set-up for broadband.
The new occupants will simply have to select an ISP, and wait approximately 10 days for the service to be activated. They will also need to supply micro filters for each phone socket in the house.