How can I tell if my gearbox is DSG or not!???

desertdweller

Reaction score
Hi there,
Recently bought a lovely 2005 1.6 A3 as a little runaround and it has started experiencing some pretty significant jolts when changing up and down gears 1-3. These don't happen all the time but generally kick in when going up or down hill but are pretty sporadic. We've had the gearbox and engine mounts replaced but its made zero difference.
A few people have mentioned the DSG to me and I was just wondering how I can tell as I can't find an obvious answer. It is a six speed auto with the sport option (flick it to the right and you can manually control the gear change).
I guess the questions are:

"is it a DSG box?"
followed by
"what can I do to get the Megatronic Unit calibrated?"
and
"how much will it cost?"

If not DSG, what else could it be? (Please don't say gearbox!)

Many thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site.

Ok has the dsg had its proper services as in oil/filter changes, it must have these done as its so important to have good oil & good filters in place or it will go down hill eventually, as per the engine & calibrations are done when these are completed or at least should be anyway, its part of the job.

Reactions: voorhees
Yes all a3 8p's are DSG when it has an auto box, get it calibrating is a good place to start, it needs plugging into VCDS to carry out this procedure only takes 5 minutes. Check out the vcds map and see if anyone local to you can plug it in for a couple of beer tokens.

I once had a DSG that had jerky selects and jerky set offs but once calibrated it was so smooth. Also I found that if a DSG car has been mapped if you calibrate it then the box learns the new torque and doesn't limit it as much when you have a lead foot.

Yeah, box had new filters and oil a few weekd ago but the Megatronic Unit was never mentioned.

Now the mechanic I used to do it seems to have gone out of business! Can't get hold of them to check!

Thanks for your comments thus far!

Mechatronic fella, transformers not included lol.

TBH how do you know they did it at all is the question, if they've gone awol.

Reactions: DriverN00B, S. and Sidhu88
Quite.... It wasn't until a few weeks later that a friend told me they had scalped his A4 Quattro........ Never ending problems after they "serviced" it

Sadly I live in the UAE where citizens advice bureau doesn't really play a big role in the society!

Yes all a3 8p's are DSG when it has an auto box, get it calibrating is a good place to start, it needs plugging into VCDS to carry out this procedure only takes 5 minutes. Check out the vcds map and see if anyone local to you can plug it in for a couple of beer tokens.

I once had a DSG that had jerky selects and jerky set offs but once calibrated it was so smooth. Also I found that if a DSG car has been mapped if you calibrate it then the box learns the new torque and doesn't limit it as much when you have a lead foot.

Wasn't aware of this, so this means the only benefit of remapping the S3 S Tronic alongside the ECU is a raised launch control and change points? Or will this method still not allow for all torque?

Last edited:
1.6 and 2.0 non-turbo petrol were never equipped with DSG/s-tronic. That is a classic auto gearbox with torque converter. Tiptronic.

^ If this is correct, then you do not have a DSG box, you have a traditional torque converter auto box (sometimes referred to as a slushbox).

This box is also susceptible to transmission fluid, was the correct amount put it, too little and it jerks, too much and it jerks, it must be replaced with the car absolutely level, at the correct operating temperature etc. etc. and there is a procedure to follow when changing fluid.

Did they use the correct fluid, Dexron II or Dexron III or Dexron VI?

To be honest, seeing as auto trans fluid is relatively cheap, I would go and get it replaced *properly* by someone who knows what they are doing.

This process isn't specifically for your box (if your box is indeed a Tiptronic Torque Converter box) - but will apply in general to all tiptronic boxes - just to give you an idea of whats involved.

Automatic Gearbox Fluid checking and changing procedure - Audifans.net