Hot start problem

Michael C

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here, I hope someone can help. I have an audi a3 2004 2.0ltr fsi petrol manual transmission (mileage 144k). It starts perfectly from cold. However, even if I take it on a quick 2 minute drive and stop, it struggles to start from warm/hot. When it is running it runs fairly perfectly. The only complains are idle revs are bit lumpy. I only drive it to and from work. I have noticed on the rare occasion I dare to use it on a long journey the engine symbol engine management light flashes 6 or so times before turning off after an hour or so into driving. When this happens no symptoms are evident from a ride/performance/handling point of view.

My garage recently replaced 2 temperature sensors (genuine audi parts) and thermostat housing. This unfortunately has not fixed the problem. I have read various forums and found people with similar problems who have replaced Crankshaft position sensor and Camshaft position sensors or starter motors with varying degrees of success.

So my questions are as follows:
1. What do people suggest to be the best thing to try replacing next?
2. Can any of the sensors or starter motor be replaced by a total novice when it comes to car maintenance? I cant afford another trip to the garage at present.
3. If the answer to question 2 is yes, then the next question is where to find instructions? Unfortunately I cant find a youtube video for replacing crankshaft of camshaft sensors on my model (although im guessing layout/position and replacement instructions can probably be ported from other audi models I just don't know which).

Thanks for your advice,

Michael

Try another starter, heat soak.

Where are you based?

I am based in Oxford. I have the haynes manual for the car. Maybe that has starter motor replacement instructions. I will take a look at that.

EDIT: I just checked, yes it does. Thanks for your advice. What sort of price should I be looking at for a replacement starter motor?

Last edited:
Hi,

Finally got round to taking a look at replacing my starter motor. But only got as far as removing the air filter box in the 15 minutes of light that I had left. Took a look at the wiring to the starter motor (shown in photo below). I took the green/blue connector off already and just need to remove the nut to take off the thick wire. I believe the red wire normally has a little red locking plastic thing that is lost. how do I get that red wire connector off?

I believe there are two big bolts holding the starter motor in. I can see the one on the top side clearly from above. I am presuming if I remove the thick wire and red one and get those out the way that I can get my hand in and down underneath to feel around for the second big bolt? I presume it is possible to do everything from above the car as I don't want to go underneath as I don't have anything that I trust to lift the car up.

IMG 20190324 WA0002

You will have to get a small screw driver into the housing for the red cable and push the clip down to release it.

Hi!

Did you replace starter motor?
It's solve hot start problem?

Hi,

I did replace the starter motor. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. But at least that rules that out and I enjoyed replacing it given that I am a total novice. I still have issues starting. Sometimes its not even that the engine is hot per se. For instance, it starts first time in the morning and if i drive it off the drive and then stop it the engine struggles to start again. So it isnt as though its always that heat is an issue. Its often merely that is has been started recently.