HID's

stu_m

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
here we go again i hear you all say!!!

anyway ive read a lot of threads on here about HID's and everyone always says you must get the slim ballasts!!

now i have been offered a set of HID's very very cheap but the ballasts arent slimline!

will i still be ok with these and just have to find somewhere to squeeze them in?

i dont have slim ones and they are fine mate and to be fair from what i can see if you have slim one you then have to find space for 2 things per lights not just one ballast as for putting them some where thats easy too i put mine in the front wheel arch where the bumper mounts on to the
wing very easy to get at when the light is out.

here we go again i hear you all say!!!

anyway ive read a lot of threads on here about HID's and everyone always says you must get the slim ballasts!!

now i have been offered a set of HID's very very cheap but the ballasts arent slimline!

will i still be ok with these and just have to find somewhere to squeeze them in?

I had HID's for a bit the large ballast's type easy to hide without any prob's but i have seen the slim ballast mounted under the headlight (Square recess) type area.

Large ballasts here too mounted behind the front bumper on the bumper mounts .

i think there is plenty of room for these ballasts,
i would mount them as far back in the engine bay as possible to eliminate abs faults!!!!

i think there is plenty of room for these ballasts,
i would mount them as far back in the engine bay as possible to eliminate abs faults!!!!
There was no where in the engine bay that didnt have a loom or wiring close by that the ballast wires would reach
thats why i mounted them in the front well away from anything including the crash sensors
i tryd loads of places before i settled with that position .

i mounted mine where quattro james suggested in another thread with pics,, near the breaklines and wiper detergent bottle,, no problems as of yet!

Over three years down the line and mine have never missed a beat :)

Over three years down the line and mine have never missed a beat :)

James i will have to ask you to do mine as when i had mine i had no end grief. I was coming back fom AITP 09 early hour's of the morning when the HID's started to flicker ON/OFF left hand side first and then the right hand side and then the both started flashing like a pace/safety car i ended up driving home with my side light's and fog's on only.. Never again.

Where were your ballasts mate?

I'm a firm believer in sticking them up near the bulkhead out of harms way.

Both mounted below headlight's

Lots of people who've done that have been fine, but I've also heard lots of horror stories. Where I've got mine might not be the neatest, but at the end of the day it's never affected the functionality of them. I know a few people (like Lloyd) who have put them there too and had no problems.

I may give them a 2nd chance as when i drive my car in the dark the headlight's are poo. Not that i drive my car that much full stop.... (wife where's your car key's i'm off to work..)

iv had no problems with mine in the wheel archs at all they have all there own space there with nothing to bother them ;-)

cheers for the replies guys im getting the kit for free soon when my mates new slimline kit arives!!

dont you just love mates rates lol