HIDs - Tempted to try again

^ same. SLim ballasts in the OEM location undert he headlight, cut a hole in the underside of the plastic for the wires and all is well - very neat and tidy.

^ same. SLim ballasts in the OEM location under the headlight, cut a hole in the underside of the plastic for the wires and all is well - very neat and tidy.

Is there anyway of putting these in the OEM location without cutting a hole in the underside of the light ?

I really do not want to cut into any part of the light unit itself apart from the rear bulb cover. This way I can put it back to standard with some just new covers.

Sadly not no, but the hole is not visable at all, so you could still put them back to standard without it being visable. You can make the hole qite neatly too and the ballast covers it as does the cover you make for the ballast. I'll see if I can dig out a picture another day, but Woorlord (think that's right) did an even neater version riviting metal plates underneath IIRC, have a search under his posts.

Is there anyway of putting these in the OEM location without cutting a hole in the underside of the light ?

I really do not want to cut into any part of the light unit itself apart from the rear bulb cover. This way I can put it back to standard with some just new covers.

the cab lights are different as the OEM ballast location is on one end of the light and not underneath as for the saloon

see this ebay listing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-of-Audi-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item33571df8ad

i drilled a hole in the removable cap on the back of the headlight to get the wires in, as there is a "shelf" that the cab headlights sit on, so drilling from underneath isnt an option.

i went for 4300 and the crystal light looks great without giving that "ive converted my headlights" look, which is what i wanted out of personal preference. (even though i do like the blue look, i dont wanna get pulled over every two minutes the check the legality of my lights)

i havent forgotten about the pics, just not had chance. i will also try and get a night shot of how the 4300 kit looks when turned on.

ps, how cool is the moment when the xenons turn on and they sort of flash and then dim down. love that...still grinning :)

Last edited:
Hi Dan - I know the ledge your on about as that is where I was thinking of putting the ballasts to hide them out of the way.

It will be good to see your pics to make my mind up! Then I can finally make the purchase :thumbsup:

my advice is to buy them anyway, wherever you manage to get the ballasts mounted you will not be disappointed with the results.

i will try and get pics up over the weekend, not had the opportunity all week with work and nearly zero daylight hours lol

ok, here are some pics of my fugly install lol

n/s headlight. you can see the red lead coming out of the ballast and the high voltage unit zip tied to the existing structure

21112009001.jpg

view of the n/s installation, looking from the driver's side of the car.

21112009002.jpg

view down the back of the o/s headlight. not a great shot because the ballast is not visible without headlight removal, but the ballast and high voltage unit are zip tied together, and then with some foam and onto a piece of structure that mounts the wing to the inner arch. not ideal, but it has lasted a week so far...

21112009004.jpg

how they look. really doesnt do it justice.

21112009009.jpg

field of view. how bad does my driveway look...:(

21112009013.jpg

hope this helps, im sure you wont be disappointed.