HIDs on Audi A4 B7

Luke667

Reaction score
Drivin down my Audi in 2-3 weeks time, and was going to fit HID's more or less as soon as I get it down.

I've installed HIDs in other cars before, namely

Nissan X-trail
Honda Cr-ve
Toyota Ist
Mitsubishi FTO
VW Golf MkIV

They were all straight forward (except for the golf, which required modification to the bulb holder)

Is the Audi pretty much straight forward, or do I have to buy something else?

Thanks

I've not done it in a B7 sorry!

In a B6 it's pretty straightforward have a search in that forum. Undo the top two headlight bolts and slacken the lower two and gently slide the light out to disconnect the wiring plugs. Then just swap the bulbs and drill out the seal plug and mount the ballasts where you choose. Headlights back in and get the lights realigned and off you go :salute:

On a B7 the headlight won't slide out with the bumper in situ, you either have to remove it or some people have managed to lower it enough to get the headlights out.

Won't fitting aftermarket HIDs to a B7 (with its reflector lenses) result in light scatter so bad that everyone coming in the opposite direction will be dazzled?

Sorry I thought (assumed) B7's had ellipsoidal headlights.

Officially fitting aftermarket HIDs is illegal unless you fit self-levelling and headlamp washers, but many people pass MOT tests with them fitted (but a valid MOT certificate is not proof of legality).

there are a number of issues....

the main one being that because there is sooo much more light, the areas that have a very tiny amount of light (less than 0.2 lumans or so) end up with well over 2 or 5 or even more depending on how well the burners been made and set up.... this is what dazzles the on coming drivers etc,

also burners are not anti UV, so chances are they will age and yellow the lens's in time..

and due to the intensity they "burn" the reflector, again causing poor out put.

I ran some HIDS in my normal lights for a few weeks, the light was good and v bright! but even with them correctly aimed and dipping them when driving with on coming trafic etc (i drove most of the time number 2 of the headlight adjustors) I would still be lighting up upstarirs windows on houses!!! this will blind drivers when going round corners.

also you get "hot spots" in front of the car, this means that drivers percieve the light to be alot brghter....which it is, but its in the wrong places, and by nature we are drawn to look at bright light so you end up looking more and more at the road infornt of the car and not down the road where you are going..

if you do want to run a HID use a projector lens as thsi will help help greatly control the beam pattern and avoid blinding other drivers. (this is why the majority of oem hids are projectors...)