Hi all im after some advise please.....

holmefield

Reaction score
So i have a Facelift A5 Sportback S Line 177 tdi, ( 13 plate ) and after checking on the options decoder it seems that i have MMI medium.

I have Factory Nav.

this is my MMI info on the menu

Media version:

HN+_EU_AU3G_P0662

Nav. database version

8R0060884BC ECE 6.16.3

Im ok with tech upgrades on some stuff and my Friend has a GENUINE VCDS software, so i can get coding done, but my questions are

A. whats involved in upgrading to 2017 maps ? i've looked @ the free download link sites and if im honest it goes over my head big time, is there a place that i can buy the 2017 upgrades from ( on SD cards ) i have two SD slots in my MMI, im guessing that i can just slot them in and perform the upgrade? Takes roughly 3hrs and is on two SD CARDS, from what i've read..

B. Now i know that Audi can do it, but there well expensive, is there anything around the £40/£50 mark that i can buy that has the updates already on and literally just needs putting into the SD slots and updating? EBAY? Has anybody any good experiences with EBAY sellers with 2017 updates, any other sources that sell updates that dont cost the earth..I dont like buying update stuff from ebay as theres so many scammers out there so would prefer to avoid this root if possible.

C. I believe that i have W-LAN but dont seem to be able to connect to it with my phone? its on the MMI screen but doesnt connect or see my phone, im asking as im wondering whether i can connect up to use google earth and other internet stuff, i have a feeling that you need MMI high for this? is it code able?

My mates very good with coding stuff if hes pointed in the right directions

Any info on the Above questions would be brilliant..

Thanks for any thoughts folks...

Moved your post to the A5 section. I'm sure the boffins in here will be able to assist :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm not having much luck. I believe I can perhaps help with point C. You mean wireless hotspot? This will only work if you have a slot for your own SIM card, and you provide a sim with a data plan. This will however mean the car and all it's required access will the route over your card.

For the Sat Nav; it's been discussed a few times on a few threads. The main jist is you can't buy "second hand" updates. As far as I know, they're coded to the car they're sold to. And are not transferable! I'm pretty sure on the other thread (which I can't find ATM as I'm out and about) suggests the map update from Audi is circa £500!! Enough to make any sensible person opt for and purchase a separate sat nav unit.

Hi holmefield,

If you log onto the A5-oc forum there is a 'how to' upgrade maps using an SD card (think it's MMI high but may be possible) you'll need to upgrade the hardware also.

Audi quoted me £270 to do a 1 year upgrade.

I'd avoid Fleabay to be honest as a wrong program could kill MMI completely.

I'd be surprised if you have internet unless you have a SIM slot, change of unit to upgrade I'm afraid.

Hmm not having much luck. I believe I can perhaps help with point C. You mean wireless hotspot? This will only work if you have a slot for your own SIM card, and you provide a sim with a data plan. This will however mean the car and all it's required access will the route over your card.

For the Sat Nav; it's been discussed a few times on a few threads. The main jist is you can't buy "second hand" updates. As far as I know, they're coded to the car they're sold to. And are not transferable! I'm pretty sure on the other thread (which I can't find ATM as I'm out and about) suggests the map update from Audi is circa £500!! Enough to make any sensible person opt for and purchase a separate sat nav unit.

Ok cheers...yer sod that @ £500

Hi holmefield,

If you log onto the A5-oc forum there is a 'how to' upgrade maps using an SD card (think it's MMI high but may be possible) you'll need to upgrade the hardware also.

Audi quoted me £270 to do a 1 year upgrade.

I'd avoid Fleabay to be honest as a wrong program could kill MMI completely.

I'd be surprised if you have internet unless you have a SIM slot, change of unit to upgrade I'm afraid.

Yer on looking a little deeper, i dont have a sim card slot just two SD card slots...

I had a look on the A5-OC site about the sat-Nav upgrade but it got very confusing and when i clicked on the link all the info went over my head im afraid...

I just want to stick in the updates into the Sd slots and do it, im not tech savvy enough to download this and that and convert to god knows what format and paste in this link....

Sad but think im getting to old for sorting my own updates out...

Yer on looking a little deeper, i dont have a sim card slot just two SD card slots...

I had a look on the A5-OC site about the sat-Nav upgrade but it got very confusing and when i clicked on the link all the info went over my head im afraid...

I just want to stick in the updates into the Sd slots and do it, im not tech savvy enough to download this and that and convert to god knows what format and paste in this link....

Sad but think im getting to old for sorting my own updates out...

Ive just updated mine, I too couldn't work out the downloads on the other site, so I bought the whole package here vagnav It cost me £100 for all of the updates. Took about 4 hours to update and install. came with instructions and was straightforward enough even for a lemon like me

Ive just updated mine, I too couldn't work out the downloads on the other site, so I bought the whole package here vagnav It cost me £100 for all of the updates. Took about 4 hours to update and install. came with instructions and was straightforward enough even for a lemon like me

Now thats sounds better, can i ask what updates it provided?

Does it give 3D mapping in towns and city's, or is it just better direction?

Cheers

Now thats sounds better, can i ask what updates it provided?

Does it give 3D mapping in towns and city's, or is it just better direction?

Cheers
Best thing to do is email the guy, his name is John. give him the version number of your existing software and he'll tell you which updates you need. it might be that yours are cheaper, as I needed an early update. I get 2017 3D maps in towns and cities and better direction

Last edited: