Hesitation/restriction in power?

norris_309

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a bit of an odd very intermittent issue with my 2011 2.0tdi A3 (think cffb engine code)
Every now and again, the car will feel like it's almost pulling back/feel very hesitant for a second. You put your foot down and it picks up & is fine. This normally happens when coasting/ at a constant speed.
But, It has also, on occasion hesitated/lagged when going to overtake on a motorway too.

I have never had this feeling with my older pd engined tdi's.
Is this 'normal' or any suggestions on what may be causing it, the car has had that emissions 'fix' a long time ago & also has a new egr January this year as i was wondering if it's something to do with that?

There are no error codes or lights on the dash when this happens? and other than that (and a clicky clutch pedal) it drives absolutely fine.

It's on 80k miles and has been serviced as per schedule from what i can see.
Any ideas welcome, cheers

Hi mate, I had a Sirocco that had a similar fault and it turned out the be the Turbo actuator?

Could put your foot down and drive it hard fine but as soon as you took it on the motorway and came to over take or a small incline the coil light would flash and it would go in to limp mode. Turn it off and back on and away you went to the next incline haha.

Thats what i would check first as it quite a common fault on the 2.0 tdi's.

Hope that helps :)

Reactions: norris_309
Thanks for that,
I don't think it's turbo/actuator related, the car doesn't go into limp mode & it will do it when just coasting/constant speed down a hill or on the flat. it doesn't coincide with the turbo being under load.

And you just get that feeling of pulling back/restriction for a second & then it's all back to normal with no fault lights or needing to turn the car off etc..
(i get the limp mode on my a4 b6 sometimes but old beast has done nearly 180k miles so can't complain)

I also have noticed when the mrs gets home from work sometimes the engine fan is running fast for quite a while after turning the engine off, now i've ready this can be the dpf having started a regen & not completing it as the car has stopped, so maybe related? is it a sign of the dpf trying to regen?
I'm new to these 'modern' diesels and dpf's (one of the reasons why i can't let go of the b6 :)

Anyone had this feeling on their 8p tdi?
I've just gone away on holiday and the car was fine, but still getting this weird 'engine braking' feeling when coasting, mainly down hill.
I've just had a look in the manual & found a 'coasting mode' which seems to be just for autos (mine is manual) but this seems likes it's the opposite & it stops that engine braking effect.
The other thing in the manual is very brief mention of Overrun fuel cut off, now from the very limited info i can find, this kind of sounds like what i'm getting.
Do any of you get that? please say yes.. and then i can relax in the knowledge it's all by design.