Help with Fitting HIDs

cobraBLACK

Chocolate? It's doo-doo, baby!
Reaction score
I've bought some HIDs from a company which previously supplied some for my old car.

Only thing is, this kit is different and so are the headlamps on my S4.

Below is a photo of the HIDs - can anyone explain how they're fitted as main beam bulbs (I have projectors for dipped)? Basically, the three ballast connectors on each side join the three other connectors attached to the bulb side, then there's two spade connectors left on either side.

I had a look at the nearside headlamp and it seems that the wiring from the back of the main beam bulb goes into the sidelight bulb. Has anyone else done this?

hids.jpg

Are you trying to convert the xenons to bi-xenon? The S4 has D1S fitment bulbs, and that kit won't fit your car.

You can not fit Xenons as main beams only dipped in the configuration you have.

Cars that use Xenons for main beam actually use the dipped bulb and when you switch on the main beam the bulb physically flips up (or down) and projects a different higher light pattern from the projector - this configuration is known as Bi-Xenons.
The standard projector lens are not compatible with Bi-Xenon configurations - I think they were available from the B7 model on the A4/S4?

Xenons need to be switched on for a while before they are at full light intensity so flicking them on like conventional bulbs is going to be pretty poor in terms of light output, unless you leave them on for a few minutes.

I 'think' B6 S4's have a xenon dipped beam, and a halogen main beam - so are single xenon as opposed to bi-xenon - so I think the OP is just trying to fit an HID kit to his H7 (or whatever) halogen main beam bulb.

I've seen this done a lot on Audizine, and will be interested to hear how an HID bulb performs as a main beam bulb for the reasons mentioned by Woorlord.

I 'think' B6 S4's have a xenon dipped beam, and a halogen main beam - so are single xenon as opposed to bi-xenon - so I think the OP is just trying to fit an HID kit to his H7 (or whatever) halogen main beam bulb.

I've seen this done a lot on Audizine, and will be interested to hear how an HID bulb performs as a main beam bulb for the reasons mentioned by Woorlord.

Correct.

The main beam is so bad I want to upgrade it. I don't tend to flash anyone so I don't car it take a couple of seconds to get to full brightness (although that doesn't really matter when you're flashing someone); I just want a better main beam.

Basically, the three ballast connectors on each side join the three other connectors attached to the bulb side, then there's two spade connectors left on either side.

I've not done this so I'm guessing, but the two spade connectors will connect into the existing main beam wires won't they? As your incoming power.....?

I've not done this so I'm guessing, but the two spade connectors will connect into the existing main beam wires won't they? As your incoming power.....?

It's hard to tell and I don't have a halogen dipped to compare to. I'll have to take the lamp out.

It just seems weird that the whole of that part of the lamp is sealed off with no protruding wiring.

I think thats quite good actually, from memory the male and female spade connector on your HID kit will fit into the corresponding connectors already in place for your main beam bulb.

Does this help?

S4Headlight.jpg

I think thats quite good actually, from memory the male and female spade connector on your HID kit will fit into the corresponding connectors already in place for your main beam bulb.

Does this help?

S4Headlight.jpg

I hope so. Thanks for your help.

I'll have to give it a go at the weekend.

The two spade connectors go into the vehicles existing wiring where your original bulb was.
HIDs are fine for flashing as the bulb ignites with a bright flash anyway, granted it takes a few seconds to get up to temperature.

Yep confirmed, the spade connectores on this type of kit push into the connector that originally would have been pushed onto the back of the halogen headlight bulbs.

Job done!

There was a bit of a worrying moment when I turned the switch on but it was OK.

Thanks all.

So how are they as main beam bulbs? Do they take long to warm up?

I have this same kit I think. Journeyman is it the slimline ballast version? When I was fitting my HID's i fitted mine in the main beam position by accident. The only slight problem is that there is a very brief "flash" when you turn the full beam on (then takes a second or 2 to warm up) but then the light output is fantastic. If pennies allow I will probably do this myself.

I have to say though, even with HID's the dipped projector beam is pretty cack on the A4

I haven't been in lamppost-less territory since so I don't know how good they are but certainly, as far as flashing someone is concerned, they're fine; they don't come on full brightness for a few seconds.