Help Required ASAP - 2002 1.8t A3 sport

1.8T-SteveA3

Reaction score
Guys how's it going, I'm new to the forum, unfortunately my first post isn't a nice members gallery pic of my pristine condition 2002 1.8t A3 :-( I picked the car up at the start of January, knew it needed rear anti roll bar bushes and there were 2 error codes 17705/17705 but the price reflected this. Possible themostat sensor and check DV, handy enough.

Was driving today and it was showing 25 mile in the tank, car felt like it lost power for a split second and I thought ok maybe a coil pack, few mile later out of fuel! Thought ok that's weird, maybe a fuel level sensor, walked a mile in the road, £5 in the can and put it in the car, started straight up.

Miles in the tank dropped to £15 and I got a real strong smell of petrol when I parked up outside my parents house, came back out to get a few things out of the car and noticed the fuel marks on the road beside the car on the back right, looked under it and nothing that would have made that much of a mess, thought ok maybe a car that was parked there earlier, decided to turn the car on and check again!

To my horror on the rear right underside the fuel was pouring out onto the road, I have no idea what would have caused this as it has only just happened today, it's it a split in the fuel line, it's there a pump gone, I'm relatively new to the Audi/VW scene so guys please any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steven

Well in that area you have the fuel lines, though I've never heard of them splitting. The more likely culprit in my opinion would be the fuel filter body corroding and bursting. New fuel filter from GSF or the likes and you're good to go.

Before buying one, jack the rear of the car up and lay down next to the drivers rear wheel. Make sure you have some face/eye protection on (fuel in the eye stings like a *******, trust me) and have someone VERY briefly flick the ignition on while you watch to see where it comes from.

I had this problem, in my case it was fuel filter leaking. It was really corroded. Picked up a new filter from euro car parts for 7 quid.

Guys great stuff, got the car jacked up n it turned out to be the fuel filter, £10 later and it's all fixed, relatively easy replacement aswell, thanks alot :)