Help please, info needed

phil miller

Reaction score
Hi all im after a little info, im hoping its nothing to worry about, right here goes

when i switch my A3 off the dash beeps and in the LCD display it shows oil can, then brake warning then water, why has it started doing this?

hope someone can help, a coffee at Badger5 on sunday is on offer to anyone who can help

Have you checked all three levels mate? Is the oil or water level low or any problem with the brakes or sensors? If not just run a vagcom check and see what faults come up and make just need resetting

yeah all levels and fuses checked all is fine, altho this morning the battery was almost flat, so it seems the dash was lit up all night :(

anyway i ran a full scan, here is where it gets interesting at first VCDS wouldnt connect, almost like when you forget to turn the key on, hmm got me thinking, to confirm the software was working i plugged into my Golf, all fine, so i tried the A3 again, this time it connected, so scan done, codes cleared same fault as before, mid afternoon i re scanned again in the instruments 17, i found what is causing the problem, because i scanned it on the tough book at work i cant copy and paste but the codes of interest are
01176-key, will prob be the key battery low
01314 engine control module no comms, this says to me the Cluster doesnt always get the info from the ECU, so im thinking wiring thro the bulk head is streaming wet, but then
00849-S-contact at IGNITION SWITCH, and that says to me the ign switch is faultly and not turning power off fully, thus giving me the issue i have, so my next step is im gonna replace the ign switch and see if that cures the problem, ive got a feeling it will

Sounds like that should do it plus maybe replace the battery