Help Please - Buying a S3.

evild

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking to buy myself an S3, have loved them and everything Audi for a long time.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice at all.

I have had a look at the usual supects, Ebay and Autotrader but am happy to wait a couple of months to get a perfect example. My budget is between £6k and £8K - is this realistic?

What sort of things should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers

Dunk

There's an FAQ section at the top with most of the info you need, plus lots of recent posts about buying S3's on the last week alone, just scroll down and have a look.
With regards to your budget, you are looking at earlier pre facelift models or higher mileage cars, I would be patient and look for the best car for £8k, a £6k car would be a dog in my opinion, unless you get lucky.

evild said:
Hi

I am looking to buy myself an S3, have loved them and everything Audi for a long time.

I would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice at all.

I have had a look at the usual supects, Ebay and Autotrader but am happy to wait a couple of months to get a perfect example. My budget is between £6k and £8K - is this realistic?

What sort of things should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheers

Dunk

Good choice Dunk, the S3s are fantastic cars, im sure you will get alot out of one. Have you tried pistonheads.com, as theres quite a few on there.
With regards to your budget mate, as jojo said you will be looking at pre-facelift models or high milers - I personally, dont think you'll find a prefect example for £6-£8k myself but you could be lucky...
The top end of £8k should find you a tidy one with about 70,000 on the clock. Dont be too put off by high mileages, theyre solid cars and if well looked after they'll do alot miles!
Look for full service history, especially if buying one with a few miles on.

After learning from my mistakes i urge you to carry out a comprehensive HPi check which covers you if there are any problems further down the line. I cannot stress enough how important it is to cross reference all the numbers on the car, The VIN under the bonnet should match the one in the windscreen and the one printed on the sticker in the spare wheel well. Check these all match the logbook (V5) Audi service shedule, any Audi invoices for services etc, and with what HPi have on their records.
Dont be afraid to phone up audi and ask about the servicing etc..

If you want to be 100% sure, get it checked out by the AA or RAC

Hope this helps mate, good luck finding your S3

Regards

Ash

Thanks for the advice - have checked the buyers guide, you lot sure know your stuff.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

:hi:

If you are buying a second hand one make sure that the cambelt has been changed.

:iagree: Welcome to the expensive world of S3 ownership. when something goes wrong you can guarantee its going to cost £££££