Help needed with door locking..

Ali A4

Livin' The Dream!
Reaction score
Yo. My passenger front door is being awkward, when i lock the car by the drivers door (no keyless locking) they all lock but the pump continues to make a noise for several seconds and then the passenger door decides to unlock itself partially. If you try the handle a couple of times it can be opened.
What can I do to sort this out?
Any help much appreciated.
Cheers.

you need to check the pipes coming from your central locking pump at the right hand side of your boot. There is one outlet that controlls the drivers door and one tha controlls the other 3 doorsfuel flap and boot. The pump ruuning on indicates to me that there is a leak on the system somewhere. Hae you recently had the door card off / fitted any stereo etc where you could have cut or dislodged a pipe ?

I only recently bought the car, I haven't had the door cards off or anything. The problem was ok at first and the passenger door would eventually lock if locked from the passenger side. It doesn't want to lock properly at all now?!

PhilR's diagnosis is spot on, you have a major leak, either at the passenger door, or the drivers side junction.

Try listening inside the car for the position of the hissing noise.

If you dont remedy the problem very soon it is likely that your central locking pump impeller will shatter, as the pump is working overtime trying to produce the correct vacuum/pressure.

Cheers guys, the hissing sound seems to be coming from the boot. I'm no expert when it comes to getting my hands dirty fiddling with cars, so may have to take it in to get it looked at to save money in the long run..