HELP NEEDED ON MY A4 B8 3.0TDI QUATTRO

Byron84

Reaction score
So I’ve had a few problems with my Audi A4 B8 2008 3.0TDI Quattro which I decided to tackle this weekend but have been left very frustrated.

The first problem I need help with is my headlights they no longer move up or down and are stuck in the low position and can’t see much as they pointing at the floor, so I checked the sensor on the front passenger side suspension and the arm has snapped, I took it off yesterday to get the part number which I have now ordered but I’m also getting a message on the computer cluster saying Headlight range control defective so I connected my computer up and it says the module has gone part number 8K0907357B plus when I move the arm up or down on the suspension the lights do not move with the arm, checked the internet for the location of the module and can’t find nothing but the B6 and B7 models which is behind the glove box so I took a punt that mine was there and to my surprise it wasn’t so does anyone know where this is located so I can change that?

My second problem is my MMI system the whole system will switch off after about a minute for about 5 seconds then come back on, the screen stays on but everything else freezes ie parking sensors, sat nav, Bluetooth, phone, radio, CD player everything basically then comes back on. I hooked my computer up to the car and it says it’s the interface box part number 8T0035729N. When I put the part number into eBay it says it’s the MMI multimedia interface control module again can’t find any info on the internet where this is located, I’ve done a forced reset but the problem still persists. I’ve checked the boot where the sat nav and amp is located and it’s not there I’ve checked behind the glove box and only the Bluetooth and iPod modules are kept there so haven’t a clue where that is located. I was thinking about purchasing a MOST fiber optical loop bypass and then was going to bypass the interface control module to make sure it was the module as I’ve seen they are expensive and not sure how accurate my computer is.

I’ve spent most of my weekend trying to find both modules and have been left frustrated so any help on either would be appreciated so I can check them out today, I’ve never signed up to forums before as I’ve always found what I’m looking for on the internet but spent hours on these and have given up now.

Thanks buys,

byron

Hi Byron,

You say "when I move the arm up or down on the suspension the lights do not move with the arm,"

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that the car takes a reading of the sensors front/rear, and adjusts the headlight angle on startup. This is to compensate for heavy loads in the boot / rear seat that might otherwise raise the front the of car (relative to the back), and therefore dazzle people.

I don't think the car is actively using the sensors to constantly adjust the headlight angle (because if the car is moving it can't be loaded / unloaded any further, so no changes should happen).

Again, could be completely wrong but that's how I always thought it worked.

Luke

Hi Byron,

You say "when I move the arm up or down on the suspension the lights do not move with the arm,"

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that the car takes a reading of the sensors front/rear, and adjusts the headlight angle on startup. This is to compensate for heavy loads in the boot / rear seat that might otherwise raise the front the of car (relative to the back), and therefore dazzle people.

I don't think the car is actively using the sensors to constantly adjust the headlight angle (because if the car is moving it can't be loaded / unloaded any further, so no changes should happen).

Again, could be completely wrong but that's how I always thought it worked.

Luke

Yup

that's how mine works.

The arms do need replacing - mine were done at 60k - salt damage - £120 each.

Right I’m doing a update just in case anyone has the problems I’ve had and I’m glad to report I’ve sorted the issues out.

The headlights was the arm level located front passenger side behind the wheel and there is one rear passenger side I believe but mine was the front. So I was getting the error code for the module located behind the glovebox but it turned out to be the front level arm, The sensor had gone on it and it’s easy to replace with your basic tool set, I changed that and the error code disappeared and lights are working perfectly, I paid £24 for it off eBay and have had no issues since (8K0941285P).

Now to the MMI this turned out to be a lot more complicated, when I plugged my computer into the car I was not able to get it to communicate to media 2 player and was getting a error code with part number 8T0035729N now finding out where this module is was a nightmare I had both front seats out all the trim and carpet up as I was told it might be under the carpet in the front footwell but nothing was there so I took the cd head unit out and the climate control unit and it was behind there. I ordered a second hand one from eBay as they are very expensive new, changed it then lost all my MMI as it needs coding to the car paid to have it coded at my local auto electrician but still had the same problem a lot of money spent for nothing, The whole system was still freezing for a few seconds after about every minute sat nav, radio, parking sensor’s CD player the lot. So here comes the bit that I think every person should own if you have a Audi with a MMI it’s a MOST bypass loop I paid £6 for a male and female loop from yes eBay again. When I changed the headlight range control module which is located behind the glove box I noticed that the bluetooth module was located there resting on top of the glovebox I immediately targeted that module took the fibre-optic connector off plugged it into the female MOST bypass loop and yessss the problem when! Ok so I’ve lost my telephone in the car but no more freezing. I’ve just ordered a second hand Bluetooth module and will need to get it coded but if you don’t use the telephone in you car you could quite happily keep the loop there and the rest of the system works perfectly.

So if you are having any problems with your MMI please just get yourself a MOST bypass loop and go around each module plugging that into each one ie amp head unit Bluetooth sat-nav one by one if you plug it into you amp let’s say and your problem is still there remove the MOST by-pass connect the amp back to the car and move on to the next module until your problem goes and then you know it’s that module that’s playing up that will save you a lot of time and money finding out which module has actually gone because VAGCOM had trouble finding out which module was gone but yet a £6 MOST by pass loop pointed me in the correct direction.

Just to finish off I am no mechanic but found working on my Audi easy don’t be scared to have ago yourself they are easy to work on and well built a socket set and keys to remove the cd head unit was enough to do all the jobs I done it’s only 4 bolts to remove the front seat and the trim just pulls off and clips down the glovebox is 6 bolts and just drops down just watch a quick video on YouTube and you can do the jobs yourself, hopefully this will help you so you don’t lose the love to your car because I almost did but I’m so glad I gave it ago and I now love my car again and feel nothing can stop me now if something goes wrong

Reactions: Willenium, mister.c. and pelhamsdetailing