Heavy lifter noise

ceS3r

Reaction score
I've been having a heavy lifter noise in my engine for some time now.. I would say maybe a couple of months. It's a "tick tick tick" and it will increase it's speed if revved.

So, I did an Oil change a couple of months back and the car was fine. Suddenly, if I drove and then I started the car again while was still warm (no cold start), a lifter noise would appear but it would go back after a couple of mins. I took a trip to another city and when I came back and started the car the next morning, HEAVY LIFTER NOISE... I took the car to an indy and he said that the first thing we should do is flush the engine, and so we did, also we cleaned the carter and the oil pickup sump thingy (dont know the name sorry). After that, I fitted new oil (5w40 Valvoline, different from what I've been using Shell Helix Ultra 5w40) and the noise was gone. Now, it has started again, it starts heavy in the morning and then it will progressively reduce its noise but still, no matter how much time the car is on.

What should I check next? I've read some threads and some recommend maybe changing the oil pump, others said that maybe stuck lifter. Vag Com shows now fault other than EGT which needs addressing. Car runs fine, boosts fine.

Also, I have 1 different lifter from other ones, I'll attach a pic. The garage I had my car in maybe a year ago for a cam service, showed to me the different lifter, but they said that the car was running fine with it and I shouldn't spend money buying new ones. Maybe this lifter is causing the problem?

I'll try to record a video tomorrow so that the sound can be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20140213_113849.jpg
    20140213_113849.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 240
They should all be flat. The only times I've seen tappets like that is when they are worn.

Thats not different, thats f*cked!...

New followers required there mate...

Whats the EGT fault? please post fault codes when asking for help... EGT probe faults will result in over fuelling which will cause bore wash and dilute the oil... if this fault has been going a while between oil changes then it could explain the wear on the followers as petrol infused oil is no longer a lubricant

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Mrharris2
Thats not different, thats f*cked!...

New followers required there mate...

Whats the EGT fault? please post fault codes when asking for help... EGT probe faults will result in over fuelling which will cause bore wash and dilute the oil... if this fault has been going a while between oil changes then it could explain the wear on the followers as petrol infused oil is no longer a lubricant

<tuffty/>
I'll scan the car later and post fault number. If my memory doesn't fails, the fault was something like implausible signal intermitent.

Ok I'm a little confused here, followers tappets lifter, they're all the same? If that's the case, would I need to change the 20 of them or only the one(s) that are worn? Thing is, I don't knoe for how many time I've been with that tappet/lifter/follower(?) like that, maybe more than 2 years, and no ticking sound. I've also read of valve tensioner that could be damaged, could this also be the cause of the ticking sound? I'll post a video in a couple of hours

Technically all the same thing, its just a word... anyhoo... you can buy individual cam followers from GSF (INA branded like OE)

Inlet
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/145vg0280

Exhaust
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/145vg0290

They frequently have promo codes with 35% discount so worth signing up

Alternatively you can (and I have) find them on eBay for around 80 quid a set for genuine INA ones

<tuffty/>

Technically all the same thing, its just a word... anyhoo... you can buy individual cam followers from GSF (INA branded like OE)

Inlet
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/145vg0280

Exhaust
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/145vg0290

They frequently have promo codes with 35% discount so worth signing up

Alternatively you can (and I have) find them on eBay for around 80 quid a set for genuine INA ones

<tuffty/>
The thing is that I live in Venezuela so I have to rely on ECS tuning.

Thanks Tuffty. So, if I'm going to replace my lifter, should I replace all, or replacing this one could solve the issue? Of course I would replace all of them, but, there's a factor.. Money....

personally I am a replace all kinda guy... but just replacing the offending ones is going to be better than where you are now :)

<tuffty/>