Heated seats error 01853

FPSUsername

B.Eng. EE
Reaction score
After installing the heated seats with the Kufatec loom, everything was working well. Heated seats worked without issues for weeks.
I then had a long road trip (about 3h) and halfway through I noticed that the seat wasn't heated anymore, even though I set it to 3/3. I thought I might've warmed up the chair and not feeling it anymore, so I enabled the heat on the passenger seat and it didn't heat up after 5 minutes.
Today I checked VCDS and it gave the error 01853, electrical fault. I cleared it and it came back after trying the heated seats, on both seats.

The fact that it pops up on both seats make me think that the issue lies at the wiring near the climatronic unit (after checking the main heated seats fuse, which is fine).
I think the issue lies at the connection of "Cable 2er thin T16d/2++", where I had to splice into Pin 2 of the D connector of the climatronic because it was already occupied. I really don't think my soldering job was great, but it seemed sturdy enough and I used insulation tape (electrical tape) to cover the exposed wire, so I think the issue lies there.
Would this be a correct assumption or am I looking at the wrong place?

Note:
I have the (RS)Q3 facelift climatronic model of which I programmed the 3rd level to be at 55C (as the A3 unit has as well) and disabled the return to a lower level after x minutes.

Attachments

• Log-Log.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 125
Today I checked the wiring from T16d/2++ and the connection is still there. I'll have to do a continuity check to be sure if something else is wrong.
I also checked the PCB from the climate control unit and it's very clean and no signs of burned out components.

Replaced the climate control unit but that didn't do it. If someone is interested in the (RS)Q3 facelift climate control unit, I have it for sale (see here).

I guess I'll have to remove the center console again and really check the wiring, as a simple continuity test didn't strike me as having faulty wiring.