Hdv gearbox

JAYJAYB

Reaction score
Hi there people , my gearbox has started to whine in 1st and 2nd fear quite badly, so I decided to change the oil hoping this may sort the problem out. Now I bought the m16 security spline tool and A manual hand pump to pump the oil into the box. removed the reverse light switch , then the drain plug drained out the oil, wow how black was the oil and it smelt of burned oil. At the bottom of the jug the oil was in was a few small metal filings. Got genuine gearbox oil from Audi parts direct which was cheaper than a motor factors delivered. £30 all in.
now the gearbox is more quiet but still has some whine in 1st and 2nd gear but much better than before. So when funds allow what’s best.
Get the bearings replaced in a garage or buy another used gearbox??? What’s people’s thoughts. Not sure how much labour is involved in sorting this out but another box could also have similar problems.

Attachments

• D489CD0C-62E8-40A4-9EC0-25CBC2361F83.jpeg
    D489CD0C-62E8-40A4-9EC0-25CBC2361F83.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 189
As you can see in my upside down photo the difference in the old oil and new oil. It’s like night and day. When I rang Audi they said you don’t need to change the gearbox oil in the cars.. really

Filled for life say Audi. Actually means 8years which is the average life for a car. The metal filings are normal in a gearbox after a few years and are usually captured by a magnet in the gearbox, I’m not sure if all Audi’s have a magnet theses days.
For your problem, I would go the repair route and as you say you don’t know how good a used box will be, it’s a lottery.
Hopefully someone on the forum will know a decent VAG gearbox repairer near you.

Ok so with tight ish nds I wil be buying a used gearbox with a 6 month warranty. I would love to have one rebuilt but am in the process of buying a house so I need to prioritise my money .
Are there any special tools needed to remove the gearbox I need to buy before I order the gearbox Monday.