Has anyone got a dash cam?

12.8 maybe on the high side and switch off the camera early , bit of experimenting needed .

Post up a pic of what yours is seeing .

I just didn’t want to turn it on the lowest till I understand what the car needs to start. Can’t find any real info on the b9 regarding this.

My camera is also dual channel so it records bother front and back similtainiously.

I’ll see if I can dig out a video for you but I think they’re too big to upload, 120mb per 40secs lol

A still will be fine .

For sure 11.6V is too low as a set default as some dashcam hardwiring kits are .

Battery state of charge

Maybe just about right .

Images are fab , you chose well .

Reactions: Theonenonly
Maybe just about right .

Images are fab , you chose well .

Yeah I looked at the others and they were good but not great, this one is expensive but the quality speaks for itself, even in the dark it’s crystal clear and reg plates can be read without issue.

I’ve tried it on the middle setting 12.0 so I’ll see how it gets on.

Getting the car tinted soon and with the camera being mounted on the back window I need to figure out if I want them just to cut round it or remount the camera on top of the tint.

Either way when it comes to selling the car I’m gunna be left with a square patch missing or risk ripping the whole tint off lol

Tint as normal , if the camera handles lower light it'll be fine and may act slightly like a CPL .

Tint as normal , if the camera handles lower light it'll be fine and may act slightly like a CPL .
No I don’t mean the camera I mean the mount.

The camera is fantastic in low light so that’s not my concern. The issue is the mount is on the glass where the tint will go. It’s on with 3m tape which is like glue.

Why can’t Audi just enable the car to use the built in cameras (for those who have them. Front, Rear and/or 360), linked to the built in HDD and WiFi capability.!?!?

Reactions: Keef
Not everyone has these though, I only have the hard drive because I purchased at extra cost the technology pack, however because my car is a 2017 I don't have wifi hotspot feature...

Not everyone has these though, I only have the hard drive because I purchased at extra cost the technology pack, however because my car is a 2017 I don't have wifi hotspot feature...

I appreciate that not everyone will have these, but for those that do then you effectively have ‘all the tools’ and just need audi to link it all up with some software.

This may also help them (Audi) get more buyers speccing these options, so would benefit them as well as the purchaser :)

I'm not saying it can't happen for those who have 360 camera's, but the front pre-sense camera could not be used...

I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before this becomes another overpriced option!
Most of the infrastructure is already in the cars, well from camera & hard drive at least

I suspect a 'built-in' dash camera option is something manufacturers are strategically avoiding. With the exception of Tesla, there's a trend for manufacturers not to record or make accessible vehicle data that may incriminate (or exonerate) a driver. Your Audi could very well keep logs of position, speed and other diagnostic information (like an aircraft's black box data) not to - I doubt they want to enter this data minefield.

I had a nextbase 312GW in my A3 Saloon (hardwired by Halfords) which was nice but not completely hidden behind the rear view mirror.

I’ve now got a Blackvue DR750S in my A4 and it’s completely hidden behind the rear view mirror. Such a clean and tidy installation (done by myself this time).

The image quality on the Blackvue is much better than the nextbase imo.
Hi Happy Grumpz
are you able to take some pictures of your install?

How about this one? £154.99
Upload 2018 5 3 10 7 29

Looks great especially from drivers angle you don’t even see it!
What’s that rubber thingy around the lens? Is that how it comes?
Do you have the rear also?

@rasA4, yup from the drivers seat you just don't see it at all.

The item on the lens is just a polarising filter to cut out and glare, well worth it IMO.

I didn't bother with the rear, I'm still not convinced they're needed. If someone hits me from behind, it's their fault, if they say I rolled back, my front camera can prove I didn't. Plus looking in the rear view mirror and seeing that hanging down would mess with my OCD.

@rasA4, yup from the drivers seat you just don't see it at all.

The item on the lens is just a polarising filter to cut out and glare, well worth it IMO.

I didn't bother with the rear, I'm still not convinced they're needed. If someone hits me from behind, it's their fault, if they say I rolled back, my front camera can prove I didn't. Plus looking in the rear view mirror and seeing that hanging down would mess with my OCD.

Tend to agree with the OCD bit I'm a bit like that, few questions for you
1. How did you find the install?
2. What about the quality? some reviews say that night vision is not that great I'm guess that's why you added the filter?
3. whats the app like to remote into the car when its parked? i take it you need some kind of sim for the network?

The installation was very simple, the top corner of the windscreen was the hardest part to hide the cable but the rest was very simple.

The night vision is absolutely fine, this was captured a few days after installing the camera...

I'll be totally honest, I've never used the app to remote into the car, but the app you use to access/download your videos is very simple to use.

Reactions: rasA4
Does the mounting of the cam not interfere with the square sensor on the rear of the mirror? To my eyes it looks like it's in front.

Hi @cuke2u , no it doesn't interfere with the sensor :) So long as something isn't directly (i.e. nearly touching) in front of the sensor it's absolutely fine.

Reactions: cuke2u
The installation was very simple, the top corner of the windscreen was the hardest part to hide the cable but the rest was very simple.

The night vision is absolutely fine, this was captured a few days after installing the camera...

I'll be totally honest, I've never used the app to remote into the car, but the app you use to access/download your videos is very simple to use.

Looks good thanks I was more thinking of car reg numbers etc. Maybe that was a review I saw which was talking about the rear camera.

I did have a scan through this thread before posting this .. however there was recently a thread about the genuine Audi UTR for your info... seems very good to me :)

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-utr.358887/
Hey zippster not sure your avatar looks familiar was you on the 8V forum?

Yes I seen this thread does look slick. However I need to look at logging into the car remotely. Yet to find one that can do it with ease. Might have to hold off that for a while. Might just get a front one

Reactions: zippster
Hey zippster not sure your avatar looks familiar was you on the 8V forum?

Yes I seen this thread does look slick. However I need to look at logging into the car remotely. Yet to find one that can do it with ease. Might have to hold off that for a while. Might just get a front one

yup the very same :) owned the s3 for 361 days exactly (inc 5 month wait for s4) love these audi things..

i thought the audi UTR has remote view functionality? via the app?

yup the very same :) owned the s3 for 361 days exactly (inc 5 month wait for s4) love these audi things..

i thought the audi UTR has remote view functionality? via the app?
Not sure mate need to look at the instructions when I can find them

maybe a silly question
anyone knows for sure does installing a fixed dashcam i.e. removing trim hard wiring etc invalidate Audi warranty?

Had.
maybe a silly question
anyone knows for sure does installing a fixed dashcam i.e. removing trim hard wiring etc invalidate Audi warranty?

Had my car in for an interior light fault and they never mentioned the cam at all

I've fitted the Garmin 55 dashcam and managed to hide it completely behind the mirror. It doesn't obstruct my view at all. If i want to use the screen then need to move the mirror out of the way however for saving videos I don't need to look at the screen. I've turned off all the additional functions like speed cameras, speed limits etc as they were very annoying.

Attachments

• 1C2FD425-1E0E-48A9-8D90-EEACF16BF760.jpeg
    1C2FD425-1E0E-48A9-8D90-EEACF16BF760.jpeg
    861.8 KB · Views: 195
  • D6D4570B-0239-45ED-87E6-E544FEB6B302.jpeg
    D6D4570B-0239-45ED-87E6-E544FEB6B302.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: Happy Grumpz and rasA4
That looks very neat. Think I will purchase a Garmin 55 this week as it looks to be very small and discrete. How have you found it to use and have you found it an issue not being able to see the screen? I am thinking of hardwiring it - was wondering whether you did this and if so what wiring kit you used?

Thanks

That looks very neat. Think I will purchase a Garmin 55 this week as it looks to be very small and discrete. How have you found it to use and have you found it an issue not being able to see the screen? I am thinking of hardwiring it - was wondering whether you did this and if so what wiring kit you used?

Thanks

I have hardwired it using the garmin original cable. Took about 5 min to run the cable to the fuse box and then quite a long time to find the right fuses to wire it to. And that's only because my volt meter had weak batteries and wasn't giving proper readings before I realised this otherwise it would have been another 5 min to wire it. For me not being able to see the screen is no issue at all. It automatically comes alive when I turn the engine on. If you want to save a video then you long press a button on the side of the camera which is easily accessible. Not seeing the screen will be an issue if you want to use all the additional features like warnings for speed cameras, lane assist, sign recognition etc as you will have to look at the screen to see why the camera is beeping. The beeping was so annoying like every minute that I just turned all these functions off. All I need is just being able to save a video.
I also switched off parking mode as it seems to have motion sensor that will be set off by person walking in front of the car. I then end up with card full of useless videos.
The reason I went for the garmin is that it is extremely small while maintaining top image quality and the way it looks - the vary typical garmin retro yet elegant look.

Many thanks for the info. Much appreciated. My only issue with the Garmin is that it seems quite expensive especially if I, like you, decided not to use many of the advanced features.

In the end today I purchase an Anker C1 pro from Amazon. It was almost half the price and so I the end I went for it. I hope I don't regret it when it arrives.

I have hardwired it using the garmin original cable. Took about 5 min to run the cable to the fuse box and then quite a long time to find the right fuses to wire it to. And that's only because my volt meter had weak batteries and wasn't giving proper readings before I realised this otherwise it would have been another 5 min to wire it. For me not being able to see the screen is no issue at all. It automatically comes alive when I turn the engine on. If you want to save a video then you long press a button on the side of the camera which is easily accessible. Not seeing the screen will be an issue if you want to use all the additional features like warnings for speed cameras, lane assist, sign recognition etc as you will have to look at the screen to see why the camera is beeping. The beeping was so annoying like every minute that I just turned all these functions off. All I need is just being able to save a video.
I also switched off parking mode as it seems to have motion sensor that will be set off by person walking in front of the car. I then end up with card full of useless videos.
The reason I went for the garmin is that it is extremely small while maintaining top image quality and the way it looks - the vary typical garmin retro yet elegant look.
Hi MOA4B9 have just had my new B9 black edtion built due to be delivered to about two weeks also have a garmin 55 and hardwire kit ready to install which fuses did you end up using to hardwire thanks.

also any tips for locating the wires as you installed the cam.