GT28RS upgrade questions

B5QUAT

Reaction score
I'm seriously looking now at taking the plunge and going for a GT28RS or similar upgrade turbo. I'm looking for a 280-300hp solution.

I've got a couple of questions tho if anyone can help.

There is this kit available which appears to utilise the standard exhaust manifold

1.8T Quattro GT28RS Turbo Kit - 034 MOTORSPORT

Now, I've heard it said on here that the OEM manifold is crap and restrictive, but I've also heard horror stories of aftermarket manifolds that crack as soon as you look at them. Is the standard manifold THAT much of an issue? Is there no way of making 280-300 on it? Because, if it IS possible, this kit looks attractive. The good thing about the OEM manifold is that it seems to be quite robust. I don't want to fit a kit and have the car off the road every 6 months for a new manifold.

Alternatively I've looked at reputable aftermarket manifolds such as PSI concepts one and I notice they do this turbo kit. I've worked a lot with TD05s on classic Subarus and they are a great turbo and easily 350-400bhp+ capable but are relatively laggy.

http://www.psiconcepts.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=198

It's a lot more expensive than the GT28 kit but you also get a good manifold and a downpipe included.

Has anyone got any opinions please on what would be the best option or offer any alternatives?

Thanks

If your planning on utilizing the stock manifold apparently you can use the BEX from the B6 190bhp which jason.s says is alot chunkier than the stock one and then you could maybe just get it ported just get that bit more flow, with a high flow stock you will eliminate lag you go for a full frame and you will be adding lag, why not see about getting a custom stainless manifold that will utilize a stock location turbo then you can try and eliminate the lag by having a small but chunky manifold and it will be stainless so wont crack like these high flow ceramic jobbies.

Stock manifold aint any use for 300hp.

PSI concepts do a nice manifold that will take a proper T25 flanged GT28RS

dont waste your money on tubular manis unless you can afford the very best. a lot of them are crap
a good solid cast manifold will outlast you turbo.

why you would want to use the stick manifold for anything other than a paperweight I do not know.
god knows what that level of restriction would do to your EGT's when hooked up to a 2860.

If you are considering it seriously PM me.
I have a Eurodyne ECU and 630cc injectors left over from a big turbo conversion I was forced to sell
happily feed a GT28/30

you just need rods, possibly a uprated fuel pump and your turbo/mani hardware...oh ....and brakes!

im running an ebay cast manifold on my aeb with a garrett t28 off a nissan 200sx and once i had bought decent gaskets and copper flashed exhaust nuts i have had no problems at all for the last year, and it gets abused.. alot