Got an OBDEleven? What changes did you make?

callumw

Reaction score
Evenin' all
3 weeks into 8V FL S3 ownership (first new-ish car in a long time) and the honeymoon period is over :D
Audi seem to nanny us a bit and so I picked up an OBDEleven to sort out the bits that either aren't available to adjust in the MMI or just not available generally. Like adjusting your headlights (wtf?)

Here's a list of the changes I made to mine.
What changes have you guys made to yours?
  • "Auto leveling" Headlight adjustment. Mine were straight up dangerous. 25ft illumination if that. I have no idea how it passed it's MOT with its lights like that.
I couldn't even see the cars in front never-mind down the road. I ploughed through so many potholes because I couldn't see them coming until the last second :angry:
The OBDEleven unit was worth it for this alone. It's daft that you need a diagnostic tool just to do a simple headlight adjustment. Easy money at Audi Servicing I guess.
Code:
Engine running + bonnet wide open
OBD: Control Units | Basic Settings | Basic headlamp setting | Activate
Once activated, use a screwdriver to adjust the headlights to the correct level
OBD: Deactivate
Engine off, lights off.
Engine on and lights on. Confirm they "auto Level" to your new setting correctly
  • Exhaust flap deactivation (permanently open). I paid for 4 tailpipes, I wanna hear them dammit :D
Code:
Engine running + bonnet open, select Dynamic Driving Mode and rev over 3000rpm to make sure exhaust flaps are open
Engine off
Ignition on (not engine)
OBD: Apps | Exhaust Flap Deactivation | Value: OFF
"Off" freezes it in it's current position. Do the above with a different driving mode if you want the flaps closed all the time
  • Comfort Turn signal. Default 3 flashes. I tried 5, but that was even more distracting, so turned it down as low as it'll go (2).
Code:
Ignition or engine on.
OBD: Apps | Comfort Turn Signal | Value: 2-5
  • In cabin engine noises (aka Soundaktor or Structure Borne Sound) Turned from 100% to 0%. It wasn't bad, just more unnecessary noise.
Works well with the exhaust flap mod. Now all the meaty engine noise is rear biased where it should be ;)
Code:
Ignition on.
OBD: Apps | Soundaktor | Value: Off - 100%
  • One more still to do - enable the RS3 style G-Meter for the virtual cockpit so it can be available and selectable in the Sport Layout.
Code:
Ignition on (maybe bonnet open?)
OBD: Control Units | Dashboard | Long Coding | Acceleration Display | Yes

Note: When I made some changes I noticed that some MMI settings had returned to their defaults, so you might have to run through the car settings in the MMI to confirm your customisations. e.g. my Auto-Folding mirrors were "on", but had reset to "off" and my Rain Sensor I switch "off" was back "on" again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road runner
Couple more

• Enable the RS3 style Power/Torque gauges for the virtual cockpit so it can be available and selectable in the Sport Layout.
They do nothing really other than make the dash layout cleaner.
Code:
Ignition on and bonnet open
OBD: Control Units | Dashboard | Long Coding | Engine Data Display | Yes
  • Headlight Washer disabled when main headlights are on.
Makes a mess of the bonnet, but I'd probably leave enabled if I drove in all weather every day.
Code:
Ignition or engine on.
OBD: Apps | Headlight Washer | Value: Off
  • Disable brake lights when hill hold assist (AutoHold) is on.
It's a personal bugbear people sitting at traffic lights with their brakes on instead of using the handbrake.
When AutoHold is active the brake lights also stay on which is crazy as it works more like a soft handbrake, so I disabled it so not to dazzle the people behind me.
Code:
Engine running + bonnet open
OBD: Control Units | Central Electrics | Adaption
Leuchte20BR LA71 | Lichtfunktion E 20 – Nicht Aktiv (disabled) or Bremslicht (enabled) 
Leuchte21BR RC8 | Lichtfunktion E 21 - Nicht Aktiv (disabled) or Bremslicht (enabled) 
Leuchte22BR MA57 | Lichtfunktion A 22 - Nicht Aktiv (disabled) or Bremslicht (enabled)
NOTE: Proceed with caution as it may affect brake lighting on more advanced modules such as brake warning on rapid ACC speed reduction

Chirp on lock/unlock.
I also did the exhaust flap permanently open but it got on my nerves after a few days and reinstated them. Also turned the soundaktor off. I much prefer it quieter with the noise only when using the performance.

Reactions: callumw