Good cars for new driver

Dippy

Reaction score
Daughter taking driving test soon. Wife thinks we should buy her a car. So what are the best options for very low insurance group cars for a few grand? Any recommendations?

I had a 1.0mpi Seat Arosa (or Lupo they're the same car really) not so long ago that was ultra reliable and a really cheap all-rounder.

Suzuki Swift, my daughter swears by hers, to the cars credit, it has cost her very little over the past 4 years and hasn't missed a beat.

JG

Toyota Yaris or Fiat 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small engined Fiat 500 are notoriously poor at going up inclines. They are more a fashion item.

Reactions: rum4mo and silestanix
I'd put that more down to the driver than the car, I've driven Ka's and all sorts up steep inclines.

Reactions: V6_Man
My son got a Ford Ka - great little cars. I drove it a bit too, cute and reliable.

I'd say a seat arosa/ibiza 1.0/1.2 or a yaris, polo too... Cheap to run and insure. Had a lupo 1.4tdi for a few months as a stop gap, was a class car, still regret selling it 8 years on lol, superb little motor and so cheap to run.

Corsa all the rage, at least with my lad and his mates

Reactions: Sandra
Toyota aygo, Peugeot 107 pretty much the same car very cheap to run. They have cam chains are very reliable and good on fuel unless you do lots of motorway driving.

Daughter taking driving test soon. Wife thinks we should buy her a car. So what are the best options for very low insurance group cars for a few grand? Any recommendations?
Hi.
When you have a car in mind if you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Corsa all the rage, at least with my lad and his mates

I'm guessing, probably wrongly, that if you feel inclined you can still stuff any VX powertrain into the Corsa without much effort?

I wish for Vauxhall's sake that VX could just try to appeal to the motoring public in general, you know, get the right models out and place sensible adverts and not just "drive away for 5 bob - honest!" They could be turned into very appealing and very useful cars instead of cheapish company hacks.

No idea, but he is at least realistic in the sense he only wants/expects/hopes for a basic model :racer:

We got our daughter a Ford KA. Went for the top of the range as it had ABS, TC and airbags. Made a bit of difference. Also get a black box it knocked £300 of the first year and another £400 the second year

Reactions: Ghost and NevMan
We have noticed that the basic versions of some of these cars are really basic. I never realised that some cars don't have even the simplest air conditioning.

No idea, but he is at least realistic in the sense he only wants/expects/hopes for a basic model :racer:

^^ I was referring to engine size, as opposed to safety/features etc. I would say black box is a MUST

Only some of my daughter's friends have a black box. My wife looked at insurance and most quotes didn't require one or didn't change the premium much. Maybe all the various factors they look out mean she is not has high risk as others.

I have seen bad reviews where after a year the premium went up because of data from the black box...

Reactions: NevMan
Only some of my daughter's friends have a black box. My wife looked at insurance and most quotes didn't require one or didn't change the premium much. Maybe all the various factors they look out mean she is not has high risk as others.

I have seen bad reviews where after a year the premium went up because of data from the black box...
Agree, if you can get a decent quote without one, all the better. Have also heard of insurance going up based on data, but then that would be because you need to be really strict/controlled. A lot will come down to relative demographic, car, driver, location etc

I'm 17 so have just got my car along with a lot of friends. Insurance wise you're probably looking at around the £900-1,200 range (seems to be where all of our insurance prices have been).

Cars all vary but as somebody said above there's a few corsas and actually a couple of clios. Insurance for a 1.2L Clio 02 is about £900 without a black box whereas if you get a newer Corsa or astra it's about that but with a black box.

I don't know many people who's insurance is much cheaper than that but if you're spending a couple grand on the car then you'll most likely want the car to have a black box. I can't even get insured without one.

However if you can I would recommend getting one without if possible. The boxes will mark you down on a lot of things from what my friends have noticed. Your price for the first year can only go down with one but as somebody mentioned above the premium can go up in the following year.

Regarding buying a car for your daughter I'd recommend talking to her about it first before surprising her. It is a nice gesture but as I'm sure you're aware a vehicle is very personal. My parents were going to surprise me with a car however they ended up approaching me about it and I'm glad they did as I wanted to buy my own car.

Reactions: Ghost and V6_Man
I'm 17 so have just got my car along with a lot of friends. Insurance wise you're probably looking at around the £900-1,200 range (seems to be where all of our insurance prices have been).

Cars all vary but as somebody said above there's a few corsas and actually a couple of clios. Insurance for a 1.2L Clio 02 is about £900 without a black box whereas if you get a newer Corsa or astra it's about that but with a black box.

I don't know many people who's insurance is much cheaper than that but if you're spending a couple grand on the car then you'll most likely want the car to have a black box. I can't even get insured without one.

However if you can I would recommend getting one without if possible. The boxes will mark you down on a lot of things from what my friends have noticed. Your price for the first year can only go down with one but as somebody mentioned above the premium can go up in the following year.

Regarding buying a car for your daughter I'd recommend talking to her about it first before surprising her. It is a nice gesture but as I'm sure you're aware a vehicle is very personal. My parents were going to surprise me with a car however they ended up approaching me about it and I'm glad they did as I wanted to buy my own car.

But what part of the country are you in I doubt you’ll get that price in Manchester my apprentice was quote 3.5k

that will Be why so cheap even for me at 33 in Manchester cheapest I’ve ever paid for insurance is this year £1000 on my r32 and £800 on the mk1 s3 and that’s with no accidents or points

A neighbour of mine told me recently that he was able to get cheaper insurance for his daughter on a Vauxhall Tigra than a Vauxhall Corsa, despite the Tigra being (perceived at least) the “sportier” of the two. The reason was that she’d be carrying fewer passengers in the Tigra, so less likely to get induced by peer pressure into risky driving.

Hmmm. My wife has been checking the insurance and is getting around £300-400 for my 17 year old daughter for a group 1-3 car in the £3-4K range.

That’s not bad. I paid £300 to insure my first car, and that was in 1984. I only paid £800 for the car and I was a lot older than 17.

Hmmm. My wife has been checking the insurance and is getting around £300-400 for my 17 year old daughter for a group 1-3 car in the £3-4K range.

That's a really good quote @Dippy

Reactions: Kondax
Well I hope she hasn't been making a mistake in her quote requests and when we come to buy for real we don't suddenly find that the quotes triple!

Well I hope she hasn't been making a mistake in her quote requests and when we come to buy for real we don't suddenly find that the quotes triple!
Yeah make sure to call up instead of just completing the online forms. Lot of the quotes I received weren't actually valid when I called up.

Who is the 'Named' driver on that quote?
You can't front a new driver, it is illegal so double check that your daughter is the named person. Adding drivers with good driver history will often bring the price down, even if they are unlikely to drive it.

Reactions: Kondax
I told my wife to quote for my daughter as the named driver, and my wife as an additional driver.

Rightly or wrongly I'm keeping out of it. With my modded car insurance I don't want to be involved in anything which will risk my future premiums.

Reactions: NevMan and Daveyonthemove
In 2012 my 17yo son in a basic Ford Ka - best quote with black box, and my wife and I as named drivers - c£2000. That's in a relatively safe area. I'd be amazed if any 17yo male could get a quote less than £2k now. He's 23 now (so 6 years NCB) and still paying £700 for a Scirocco.

Reactions: Tj 0785 and NevMan
Reactions: THQuattro and V6_Man
Thanks again for all the replies. We found out that these low insurance group cars sell quickly, especially the Fords and Vauxhalls (which I guess are favoured by the lads) so getting one has been a bit frustrating. We finally bought a Peugeot 107 today. 2013 with only 13K miles. Cost a bit more that we had planned so maybe we'll get her fully comp insurance instead of just TPFT.

Reactions: jdp1962, NevMan and V6_Man