Glow Plug light on and Loss of Power and Emission Control management light on

Adam Vali

Reaction score
Yesterday the glow plug light came on the dashboard and I couldnt go over 60mph eventhough I put my foot all the way down.
RAC came and they ran a diagnostics :
Coil warning light on dash.
Loss of power.
Carried out scan via RACscan.
DTC: P0672,Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit
DTC: P2563,Turbocharger boost control position sensor circuit; range/performance
DTC: P0299,Turbo / Super Charger Underboost
Faults stored.
Carried out road test on services car park.
No coil light and turbo boosting at aprox 2000rpm in 2nd gear.
Cleared fault codes and followed down m.way Aprox 8 miles.
Re carried out scan to engine ECU.
No fault codes stored.
Suspect boost pressure sensor fault? intermitant.
Advised further garage attention.
They then followed me home and I had no lights appear and there didn't seem to be any issues with power.
Today in the morning, I drove it and the glow plug light appeared again as well as loss of power.
I switched the car off and on and it went away only for it to come back when it hit 60mph and then loss of power again......
But this time another light came on, the emissions control management light.
Any idea what on earth is going on with my car?
I had a VW Passat 1.9 TDI PD 130BHP for 10 years. Never had any issues or breakdowns. This car has been a right pain

Sticky veins in the turbo, is very common, A product called revive can unclog them without removing the turbo.

Reactions: Adam Vali
And what can cause sticky veins in the turbo? I drive 36 miles everyday with 30 of them on motorway

Exactly that. Carbon deposits build up.

I used innotec turbo cleaner. It has been reported to have good results. Slightly worked on mine, but the turbo was too far gone.

Also mr muscle squirted in the outlet side of the turbo, leave sit for a few hours and manually move the vanes to free them up.

If your turbo has had it though none of this will work.

Perhaps try some super diesel and give it an Italian tune in 3/4 gear to get the turbo nice and hot to burn out the deposits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Vali

I used innotec turbo cleaner. It has been reported to have good results. Slightly worked on mine, but the turbo was too far gone.

Also mr muscle squirted in the outlet side of the turbo, leave sit for a few hours and manually move the vanes to free them up.

Perhaps try some super diesel and give it an Italian tune in 3/4 gear to get the turbo nice and hot to burn out the deposits.
understood ill have to try that out. Also I had my car in for a mini service a month ago. The oiled use was for VAG 5W30 and it costed about £40. Should I be using proper Audi Make oil or does it not matter?

So I took it to the mechanics today, he drove it on the motorway for 19 miles and it drove fine, any idea what it may be?

Probably what we said. Mine was intermittent and would normally go into limp mode going up hills in 6th if I tried to accelerate.

It may be that it has cleared itself

Yep. Mechanic checked it again and its the Turbo. Theres alot of play inside the turbo and previous owner has had a component of the turbo changed in the past. Should I get a recon or new one ? and If I get a new one should I get Audi Original or other make ?

Abmat - I'm thinking of using Innotec on my A4 2.0 TDi - how did you get on with it? and was it straight forward (i.e. easy enough for a novice) to use?

Easy enough. Just pour into the fuel tank.

I could tell it made a difference. Just not enough of one to cure my issue. The turbo was just too old