Gearbox options - planning to go quattro

Northampton_ofn

Reaction score
Right guys I need some help. I've substantially upped the power on my 1.8t with a K04 hybrid. I haven't even remapped yet and i've started getting ridiculous clutch slip. At every stage with this car i've uprated when something has failed, and that's what I want to do here.

I want to fit a 6 speed box, partly because I want 6 gears but also because the flywheel is larger which paired with a performance clutch will result in a setup much more capable of dealing with the additional torque.

My long term plan is to fit a quattro setup (all the 'buy a quattro then' haters feel free to leave) so my question is, can I fit a quattro 6 speed box and some how disable/block off/not link up the rear drive prop shaft?

If not possible, I at least don't want to spend a load of money on a clutch to then replace it later, so does anyone know if a six speed FWD box uses the same clutch as the quattro box?

Anything else I'll need? Are there different subframes or just mounts?

What clutch is in it just now? As I understand it, five speed boxes have 228 mm clutch, six speed have 240 mm clutch. The swap to six speed box will allow you to fit the larger DMF and clutch.

I never understood how you could get a 190hp with fwd or 163hp with quattro, kinda twisted that. Fortunately I have the second one, it's easier to remap than convert to Quattro :greyrs4:

What clutch is in it just now? As I understand it, five speed boxes have 228 mm clutch, six speed have 240 mm clutch. The swap to six speed box will allow you to fit the larger DMF and clutch.

As far as i'm aware its just the original clutch in there Calum, theres no evidence to suggest it's ever been changed. At 190,000 miles now it's definitely earned it's stripes.

I never understood how you could get a 190hp with fwd or 163hp with quattro, kinda twisted that. Fortunately I have the second one, it's easier to remap than convert to Quattro :greyrs4:

I know, strange that you can get 190 FWD but I guess they were a bit cheaper than the quattros so people would go for them. On British roads these days, when do you really get to give the quattro its true potential...

I realise I could just go and buy a quattro and change all the bits over but the fun and learning is in the tinkering.

As far as i'm aware its just the original clutch in there Calum, theres no evidence to suggest it's ever been changed. At 190,000 miles now it's definitely earned it's stripes.

I know, strange that you can get 190 FWD but I guess they were a bit cheaper than the quattros so people would go for them. On British roads these days, when do you really get to give the quattro its true potential...

I realise I could just go and buy a quattro and change all the bits over but the fun and learning is in the tinkering.

Do you know anyone that has a Quattro and be willing to let you drive it? If/once you have driven it you'll be desperate to get the conversion done, I've never driven a car that feels more planted than a Quattro. Slippery junctions on a wet day, you just know you're going to get away from there with very little fuss, it just grips and goes.
I remember trying to get the power down at a junction in the wet in my Passat 1.8t, spin spin spin, definitely not good.

Reactions: Mothy69 and Andyb5tdi
Very interested in any updates to your quattro conversation! Would love it on mine too, I'm just getting some decent rubber for the time being. Sorry I can't be much help just thought I'd mention it as I think tyres will help a load too.

Reactions: Northampton_ofn
Regarding the propshaft, it's connected to the gearbox drive flange with six allen bolts, nothing to block off, just fit the box as is and it should be okay like that till you get all the other goodies to fit. You will need to source the gearbox and differential off the same car so you know you have the correct ratios on both.

If you unhook the rear prop shaft the car won't move.

If you unhook the rear prop shaft the car won't move.

Looks like op will have to do the whole Quattro swap in one go, plus a new clutch, OUCH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like op will have to do the whole Quattro swap in one go, plus a new clutch, OUCH!

Definitely ouch!

But I think it makes more sense than fitting a a FWD 6MT box and clutch, then pulling it all apart again, and then fitting the quattro.

And as you say, if you pull it all off the same donor, it prevents any mismatched ratios or other problems.

I sold my FWD B7 for a quattro B7. I'm not sure I'd buy an everyday car without quattro again.

Reactions: QuattroCalum and Northampton_ofn
Both Quattro and FWD have 240mm clutch options.
240mm clutch and matching flywheel can be fitted to 5-speed models.
Front subframe on Quattro and FWD models are the same.
Floor pan on Quattro and FWD models are the same.
Rear suspension on Quattro and FWD models are the same.
Fuel tanks on Quattro and FWD models are different, but interchangeable.
Rear subframes on Quattro and FWD models are different, but interchangeable.
Threaded holes for Quattro propshaft centre support exists on FWD models.

Does Quattro make a difference to the overall driving experience? Yes.
Is the conversion a bolt-on job? Yes.
Is the conversion worth carrying out? Yes, if you have access to cheap parts, or a cheap donor car.
Is there any coding required? Yes, ABS and ESP will require coding, different between Quattro and FWD.

Reactions: Baka and Northampton_ofn
If you're ever down my neck of the woods, you're more than welcome to drive my car. It's not a 1.8T, but the differences between a 1.8T Quattro and 3.0 Quattro are negligeable, especially if the 1.8T is a 190, or it's been remapped.

Thanks Baka, it's not precisely what i wanted to hear but at least I know what I need to do now. Time to start looking for a smashed up b6 1.8t quattro.

Glad to hear people enjoy their quattros as well.

Reactions: Baka
Thanks for all your knowledgeable input Nollywood! :nogarors4:

The search begins for a donor. I assume it has to be a 1.8t? Are all the quattro systems the same across the models I.e a 150hp 5 speed has the same hardware fitted as a 190 BEX 6 speed?

The search begins for a donor. I assume it has to be a 1.8t? Are all the quattro systems the same across the models I.e a 150hp 5 speed has the same hardware fitted as a 190 BEX 6 speed?

Well you have more power so you could use 3.0 V6 as a donor car, I don't think any diesel would do due to the gear ratios.
I don't know if there are any 150 hp Quattro's, I know there's supporting be but it would be very poor to drive.

Here's what you have to look forward to, plenty of spanner work.

Reactions: grainqey and Northampton_ofn
Right I've done some homework.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/259582-AWD-Swap-almost-DONE/page4

The above thread is of somebody completing a 5SMT FWD conversion to 5SMT Quattro. The only item that doesn't appear to just bolt up like for like is the prop shaft bracket in the transmission tunnel. There are brackets there but they are in the wrong place and need cutting out and re-welding further down the tunnel. Not a big enough fab to put me off doing this.

Have you found a donor yet, just wondering?

I haven't yet mate. To be honest I'm not looking yet because I don't have time to do all the work for a while.

I've also been offered a company car which I'm seriously considering taking. It would mean taking all the pressure off the B6 which I could then garage and take my time with the conversion.

I had at brief look on ebay at prices the other day and I think I saw a 1.8TQ on an 03 plate, spares or repair for £495

Reactions: QuattroCalum
An old thread, but did you ever do the conversion?

I now strip 8E quattro models for all the required parts, and I have 3 kits available, all 6-speed. One is for my own car though.