Gear Stick Vibration

ahm

Reaction score
I remember someone previously posting about this but it was a while ago and don't remember the feedback/advice given.

I've had a 1.4 TFSI now for 2 months and there's a noticeable vibration through the great stick at times. It's not violent, but noticeable to the feel and out of the corner of my eye when driving. It happens over bumps and under acceleration when in gear, and at turn on and auto start stop in neutral. Never had a car before that's had it this noticeable, but maybe it's normal enough.

Anyone else with a 1.4 TFSI (or manual in general) notice this also? Trying to decide whether to take it in to Audi, or will I just look stupid!

Thoughts welcome.

None on my a3, however it has a tranverse engine layout, not a in line as the A4 has and I would say the 1.4 is one of the smoothest, refined and quietest engine out of any car I have owned. It was for a different engine than the 1.4 that another posted about but it might be you need to put a few more miles into the car to let all the components settle in...

I remember someone previously posting about this but it was a while ago and don't remember the feedback/advice given.

I've had a 1.4 TFSI now for 2 months and there's a noticeable vibration through the great stick at times. It's not violent, but noticeable to the feel and out of the corner of my eye when driving. It happens over bumps and under acceleration when in gear, and at turn on and auto start stop in neutral. Never had a car before that's had it this noticeable, but maybe it's normal enough.

Anyone else with a 1.4 TFSI (or manual in general) notice this also? Trying to decide whether to take it in to Audi, or will I just look stupid!

Thoughts welcome.

That would be me but mine is a 2.0 TFSI manual and not the 1.4 TFSI like @cuke2u says. I get the exact same vibration that you describe and I also see it through corner of my eye. It's kind of like a slight forward/back flick vibration.

It is interesting that you have noticed it in your 1.4. Again like @cuke2u says the a4 has longitudinal engines. I can only assume this layout transmits vibration from the engine ever so slightly.

I've had my car since new in May with 6miles on clock and have just now covered 6000 miles, and I've got use to it and just put it down a normal.

Just to add though, I thought about booking it in but instead asked my sales guy to see if any other new A4s did it. Obviously they didn't have another 2.0 TFSI manual to test but he did say he took out a few of new A4 TDIs on customer test drives and they all had different slight vibrations through the gear stick.

That would be me but mine is a 2.0 TFSI manual and not the 1.4 TFSI like @cuke2u says. I get the exact same vibration that you describe and I also see it through corner of my eye. It's kind of like a slight forward/back flick vibration.

It is interesting that you have noticed it in your 1.4. Again like @cuke2u says the a4 has longitudinal engines. I can only assume this layout transmits vibration from the engine ever so slightly.

I've had my car since new in May with 6miles on clock and have just now covered 6000 miles, and I've got use to it and just put it down a normal.

Just to add though, I thought about booking it in but instead asked my sales guy to see if any other new A4s did it. Obviously they didn't have another 2.0 TFSI manual to test but he did say he took out a few of new A4 TDIs on customer test drives and they all had different slight vibrations through the gear stick.

Cheers for the reply. Will also get used to it, and knowing it's normal will help me ignore it. Unfortunately my car's had a bigger problem (see other thread) so is in with Audi at moment for investigation, and I asked them to have a look at the vibration while it's in. They'll probably say it's normal vibration, which is fine, just good to know for definite.

I only noticed it because all my other Audi's didnt have any vibrations at all. So like you I assumed there must be something wrong. I think people get feels the vibrations more than others and som people not at all. I have a bad habit that I tend to rest my hand in the gear stick whist driving so I feel it more.

Cheers for the reply. Will also get used to it, and knowing it's normal will help me ignore it. Unfortunately my car's had a bigger problem (see other thread) so is in with Audi at moment for investigation, and I asked them to have a look at the vibration while it's in. They'll probably say it's normal vibration, which is fine, just good to know for definite.

I picked up an a4 2.0 tfsi on Friday and also have some vibration coming through the gear stick; did anything ever come of the inspection?

I've driven an A3 for work which does the same thing, but I don't recall feeling it in the a4 that I test drove before buying (although can't say this for certain). Slightly annoying because at the moment it's the only thing that is slightly irking me about the car

I picked up an a4 2.0 tfsi on Friday and also have some vibration coming through the gear stick; did anything ever come of the inspection?

I've driven an A3 for work which does the same thing, but I don't recall feeling it in the a4 that I test drove before buying (although can't say this for certain). Slightly annoying because at the moment it's the only thing that is slightly irking me about the car

No, nothing came of it. They said it was normal. They had put about 60 miles on it while trying to find the source of the other problem (without success), so think they would've noticed if it was odd. And tbh i was just happy to get the car back again, and it doesn't bother me at all now.

Reactions: f1nny
No, nothing came of it. They said it was normal. They had put about 60 miles on it while trying to find the source of the other problem (without success), so think they would've noticed if it was odd. And tbh i was just happy to get the car back again, and it doesn't bother me at all now.

Fair enough, it's not really affecting my enjoyment of the car so I'd be happy to let it go.

Anyway, it's going in at the beginning of November as the shark fin wasn't stuck down properly. I mentioned it to them and they said they'd look, so I'll post if anything comes from it

Why can't the main dealer just say its normal instead of saying bring the car in and charge a fortune to do nothing. It should not be in a car of that expense