Gear-stick vibration, new A4, common?

First Ever Audi

Reaction score
Balmedie(next to Donald Trump's Controversial Golf
Posting again just in case anyone else noticed?

I have the a4 1.4 tfsi manual, and notice a slight vibration in the gear-stick whilst idling in neutral. Also, when resting your hand in the stick, in preparation for changing up, you can feel vibration through it.

When driving, over bumps its also visible in the gear stick.

Anyone else?

I think this is down to the engine facing 'north south' and the stick possibly being directly connected to the gearbox instead of through cables. The 1.4 A3 never had this issue at all so I can only think this is the reason. Four pot diesels in the A4 B9 are even worse however it seems only the manual gearboxes suffer from this..

Last edited:
I've got a 2.0TDI 6sp manual and 6 days in would say the amount of vibes through the stick is acceptable. Yes you can feel some engine vibration, but it is less than the 3 series diesel I just changed from.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think this is down to the engine facing 'north south' and the stick possibly being directly connected to the gearbox instead of through cables. The 1.4 A3 never had this issue at all so I can only think this is the reason. Four pot diesels in the A4 B9 are even worse however it seems only the manual gearboxes suffer from this..
Now that makes sense....thanks

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cuke2u
Yeah first thing I noticed when I got into my new 1.4. Nothing really annoying but it is something that Ive just searched on as it was news to me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've got gearstick bushes and rod changed and still have vibration

Yep it's just as bad especially when going over bumps.. I never had it in any other car. I can't get an explanation but it must be normal. I've a 2016 tdi ultra

Yep it's just as bad especially when going over bumps.. I never had it in any other car. I can't get an explanation but it must be normal. I've a 2016 tdi ultra

Think it’s because the way the engine is mounted.

Purely from the point of view of good habits, and not to be critical of anyone's driving skills, I was taught it is not a good idea to rest your hand on the gear lever for any length of time as it can prematurely wear out the internal components.
This doesn't apply to stronic...

Reactions: Toonsoldier91
Purely from the point of view of good habits, and not to be critical of anyone's driving skills, I was taught it is not a good idea to rest your hand on the gear lever for any length of time as it can prematurely wear out the internal components.
This doesn't apply to stronic...
I’m old school. Both hands on the wheel lol

Yoy wouldn't expect any shaking from the gear stick in a car that expensive..