Gear cables close to 90 mm downpipe on manual S3 8P.

prt57

Reaction score
I recently had a new exhaust with a 90mm downpipe.
On close examination, it appears the gear cables are very close if not touching the 90mm downpipe.
I have tried a DIY mod to support the cables with jubilee clips but there is nowhere strong enough to hang the clips from and so back to the drawing board.
I have heard of gear cables melting and so looking for a permanent solution.
We also have a TT 2.0 and had a TTS and they both appear to have a rod extension from the cable support bracket to support the cables so they don’t touch the exhaust whereas the S3 has nothing and the cables just hang there. Please see the photo below showing the TT bracket with the extension.
Is this a modification that will Just bolt onto my S3?

I know that there is a bracket that can be bought from 42 draft designs but I believe it has to be imported from the US. This is designed to help with this very problem but I would prefer an OEM + solution if posssible and that would be available to order from my local Audi garage for probably less than the 42 draft designs bracket.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-6s-shifter-cable-support-bracket/

IMG 2014

Also just watched some YouTube videos and some say the gearbox needs to be locked along with the gear stick before the cable adjusters are disengaged whereas others just stress the gearbox needs to be in neutral and the cable adjusters can be popped off and back on as long as you take care with no problems. So will this method work with no problems?

If I do have to lock the gear stick, how do I remove the gear stick gaiter and brushed aluminium surround without damaging it?

Also, I have just noticed that the rubber bushings in the cable support bracket can be replaced with metal ones from AKS to eliminate any slop. Is this worth doing whilst everything is dismantled?

Thanks for your help,

Peter