SQ5 Full beam throw on LED matrix lights

Meester_Steve

Reaction score
During my limited ownership period of a month or so, I’ve only been out in the dark in the car a couple of times.
The auto full beam and matrix beam works a treat and is pretty cool, but the distance illuminated when on full beam seems a bit short. I was expecting everything to be lit up like day light for maybe 300-400+ meters, but it appears to be well short of that. There isn’t a huge contrast between dipped and full beam.

Are you other Matrix users experiencing the same?

Do I need to reset my expectations or get them looked at?

Hey @Meester_Steve

I sort of had the same impression about full beam until I realised it really doesn't go into full retina burn mode if there are any other cars or light sources around. Also they are a different type of brightness from Xenon lights. I have yet to drive in the dark with no illumination and no other cars around.

I've done less miles than you in just over 3 months ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ok, cool. I’ll have to go out and find some dark country lanes. There was some other traffic and street lighting, so I guess the system was tempering itself.
Can’t believe you haven’t hit 1k yet!! So you’ve not pushed it yet then? The car has been in Individual from day one - everything configured as dynamic except engine/transmission and being driven with kid gloves. Few more miles and I can give it some welly!

I’ve driven in Comfort 98% of the time using less than 50% of maximum revs. I have put it in Dynamic a couple of times on the motorway when up over 80C engine temperature since I hit 600 miles, perks up the exhaust note! At 775 miles now, a couple more longish runs and I’ll break the 1000 miles.

Than manual talks about having the car at operating temperature before giving it the full beans, what temperature do you think that is?

Have you really driven in Dynamic for steering and dampers all the time? (I forget do you have air suspension?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: paul wev
The first couple of hundred miles were in comfort mode, but I was missing any exhaust note. I wanted to keep the engine/gearbox mechanics activity to a bare minimum, so left that in comfort, everything else in dynamic - height/dampers, steering, exhaust. Yes, we do have Air suspension so I think it helps keep the ride supple enough and I don't find the ride too harsh. The full 'Comfort' in drive select is lovely though - gives the car a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde thing going on.
On the subject of ride height, I do wish the lowest road setting was a bit lower OotB. I know it's an 'SUV' but hey could have dropped a couple of mil more. I have seen some people in the US have replaced some spacers to get that height, but not messing with anything just yet.
Not noticed a huge contrast between the two steering setups, but thats probably me and the will notice more of an impact once I'm bustling along a country lane with a little pace.
My experience overall so far - can't really fault anything and definitely worth the (extended) wait and still haven't experienced the full extent of what the vehicle can offer. Roll on the next 150 miles!

Reactions: paul wev
You'll love it in Winter, such a cool option! Love mine, perhaps too much :)

Edit - yes matrix led's.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@terminator x I assume you mean the Matrix LEDs?
It was cool watching it activate/deactivate elements for approaching vehicles and signs etc. waiting for a really dark night to give it a bit more of a test.
How does it handle snow? Does it recognise it as a reflective glare surface or just go full blast?

The matrix lights yes. Incredible to see the dark patches of light dancing around as cars approach. Not sure about snow but imho won't be any better than normal lights as the camera is just watching for car headlights afaik although it does "switch off" in well lit areas so perhaps it will just do that?

TX.

It must vary between a right giggle and a huge PTA keeping your beast under control in the snow ;)
Ha ha not been in snow yet as only got it Mar 18. Will be interesting to test WOT in the snow ;)

TX.