FSI 2.0 Steam Exhaust?

aadams1x

Reaction score
Hi, My girlfriends 2.0 FSI seems to have an excessive amount of steam (White Smoke but seems to disapear so think steam not smoke) coming from her exhaust even when the car is warm, anyone else have this...also when she overtook me the other day and she was booting it there seemed to be water coming from the exhaust, any thoughts, car doesnt seem to be drinking water and only other thing is the car is a little lumpy at tick over... Thanks, Andrew

It's quite common to get a build up of condensation in the exhaust which eventually makes it's way out, often assisted with a dose of the right boot. Does the car do short journey's?

Yes, the previous owner only did a mile or so to the station every day which is why he sold it in the end, gf starting from today will be driving about 15miles to work and back everyday so short journeys should reduce a bit now.... Is that related you think?

Almost certainly. I was following a Civic a couple of years back. The driver booted it away from some lights and it was like someone has pulled the plug from a bath!

I'd expect to have to replace the exhaust soon if it's like that as it will rot from the inside out.

Thanks for the advice, audi exhaust...that doesnt sound cheap!!

Next question I guess. Can anything be done to stop it or is it now just the way the car works! Thanks

A lot of exhausts now have a small (2 or 3 mm) hole drilled at the bottom back edge of the silencer to allow water to drain.

Lol my car does this - it worse when I'm sat outside work - waiting for someone to open up - every now and then get the white puff. As had been said a longer run soon sorts it out though !

Richard

"A lot of exhausts now have a small (2 or 3 mm) hole drilled at the bottom back edge of the silencer to allow water to drain."

If it's an understood beneficial feature, Do Audi utilize this feature in all their vehicles? I suspect a pinhole could exacerbate noise and corrosion issues if not properly designed?

Modern design is about understanding utility, I highly doubt Audi would purposely design exhausts to rust from the inside(they almost certainly have the cream of the best global designers/techs). I also doubt if ALL A3's show the same behavior The level of emission vapor is relative to many factors. The challenge is to get a statement from Audi on what is 'Normal'.

if you feel your vapor emissions are excessive you should address this with Audi IMO, it's not an easy ride, but I feel too many people just take it as accepted for ease of life, if there is an issue and it's addressed, it benefits all. Stand on the street for 10 minutes in morning traffic and get a feel for 'the norm' observing passing traffic. I really think there is an 'issue' with 'some' vehicles and it's being ignored. This time of year is a really good time to get a handle if there is an issue as any symptoms are clearly visible!

Better still, take a camera into a dealership and film the vehicle movements for 30 mins on a cold morning, if your vehicle is outside the 'norm' it gives you something to think about.

on the other hand, life is relatively short, 30 mins on a forecourt vs 30 mins of pleasure is a tough measure.

just steaming off....

Mine takes ages for the condensation to disappear and most noticeable the last couple of weeks. It’s all normal In cold damp weather.