1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front wheel bearing hard to fit/change?

scottshere Jun 23, 2012

1. scottshere

scottshere Member

Need to change the wheel bearing and looking at doing it myself if it isnt a major task
    Looking at the images it is held by 4 bolts
    Anyone know if this is going to be one for a mechanic to sort?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

show me the images

4. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Are you replacing just the bearing or the full hub? Replacing the hub is easier

I did one a few weeks ago I thought it was easy but I tinker a lot

It is held with 4 bolts as you say plus the center bolt on the hub needs to come out

You don't have to remove the hub carrier as the book says but if you drop the bottom rear suspension arm you can remove the drive shaft to get in

The bearing can be a pain to get out you don't need a press a big hammer and socket will do it

5. scottshere

scottshere Member

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is how it looks when ordering. Im guessing the rear suspension are can be a pain to get off

6. stu_m

Yeah that's just the bearing so you will need to remove the hub out of the bearing

Mine came out of the bearing easy enough

7. murran

murran Well-Known Member

its easier with the driveshaft out but try it with it in first.

the bearing can also seize into the upright pretty solidly, if it is seized in then you'll need to remove the driveshaft. then 4 bolts from the back side, put them back in a couple of turns then whack the bolts to get the bearing shifted.

still need to press the hub into the new bearing tho.

8. stu_m

You can just use a vice to press the hub in

9. stu_m

10. fotorat

fotorat New Member

There is a lot of rubbish you tube vids about this - I counted 10 joints/bushes but to to the wheel bearing only 1 needs to be undone

the rear most lower joint ( that connects to the inboard silent bloc) then the drive shaft come completely out of the hub and I used a 40mm socket and lump hammer to tap it out.

Where I got stuck was removeing ythe bearing from the hub flange - I had to take it to a garage and get it pressed out on a 10 tonne press!

then when refitting I had to use a massive lorry lash strap from the back wheel to the strut in order to pull it back far enough to get the ball joint back in. Took me 6 hours in total - but when the other side goes - I reckon I will do it in 1 hour!