Front subframe and suspension brace

QuantumJohn

Reaction score
With all this talk of the front suspension and brace recently it has reminded me of the parts I have left over from stripping my 18K mile 2000 S4 avant.

I have the complete front subframe and brace. Does anyone know if this the same as all the other A4 models or did the S4 one differ? I image that all the mounting points for it are probably the same, at least for a quattro shell but I guess it may be stronger or have thicker bushes. Also, what year/model did they start adding the brace?

I also never realised that they had a top suspension brace until I stripped the car. It is a thick metal bar that is screwed to the strut tops but is hidden because it sits underneath the wiring loom that runs along the back of the bulkhead. Did all A4's have these? Be interesting to find out what models or years they were fitted to.

Cheers,
John

Hi John , according to audi manual it start from late 98 , but in etka i found it as a replacing part since 99 facelift i dunno why is that , ill take a look and see if your is the same as every v6 subframe ot it difference in some ways ;)

Maybe the difference is the the bushes it have special bushes for sport runing gear which have part number 8D0 399 419 D while normal bushes is 8D0 399 415 D ,

subframe part number is

4B0 399 313 CE (6 cylinders) DWM DWN gearbox
4B0 399 313 BL (6 cylinders) DSY FRQ gearbox
4B0 399 313 CJ (6 cylinders) DQT FTF gearbox

S4 brace is difference the A4 it maybe reinforced

normal brace is 8D0 399 375 and the S4 one 8D0 399 403 A

that is all i found , could u take a pictue for the brace if its near u and show me it? , do u think my original subframe is prepaired to i fit it on? my car is 1996 and etka has droped few parts numbers and now it have one part number which fit every audi a4 with v6 front wheel drive same as the subframe of the passat v6...

cheers

I also never realised that they had a top suspension brace until I stripped the car. It is a thick metal bar that is screwed to the strut tops but is hidden because it sits underneath the wiring loom that runs along the back of the bulkhead. Did all A4's have these? Be interesting to find out what models or years they were fitted to.

Interesting point from you , it came on 1998+ 2.5 diesel and S4s have it too but its stronger 8D0 805 645 C (Sport packet quattro GMBH) normal one have the same part number but with A in the end , does your have C? right?

Is the retainer where u attach this bar is found in every car? or removable? any picture for it too?

Regards

Soupie69uk said:
I remember reading about the S4s having a front brace as standard on AW.

You got any pics of it?

I dont have pictures , do you have some? i would like to see how its fited , i am interested for it!

I'll get a picture of the upper brace over the weekend.
It screws in to 2 threaded holes on each side of the inner wings. I guess the threaded holes would be on all model bodyshells and it is just the brace that was different for the S4's and 2.5 diesel.

John

I just make a long search and figured out those bracket is soldered in the body shell of the s4 and 2.5 diesel , other cars didnt have it i dont know if it came optional in some other cars , but the good news , the audi a6 head removable brackets which is bolted in the suspensions nuts and it works 100% the same , just what i want to know if the bar of the a6 and s4 is the same lenght? , could u mesure your (the bar of corse) :D , tell us the lenght of it? , i have few pictures for the brakets , but how could i upload it? i dont see a way to upload the pictures :(

Soupie69uk , most of the threads u found on the audiworld missing the pictures how come today it include them , very good catch mate!

many thanks now i know which parts i wants ;)

what is the difference between the A6 and the s4 bar? or the normal a4? any one have access for both to compare them? cant i fit the a6 one as its?