Front bumper removal (top bolt spinning) re headlight bulb change

guysy

Reaction score
Hi,

2 mixed jobs in one really, my passenger side dipped bulb went today, Ill just whip a new one in I thought.

Wrong... Its tight anyway but fuse box cover removed and headlight loom plug un plugged I managed to get the cover off and out and the bulb un clipped. I've had it on other cars where there just isnt enough room to get your hand in to find the 1/8th of a turn or similar to clip it back on.

Lots of pain later I went through the wheel arch for an easier angle and the fu**ing thing is in.

The only reason I did it that was was because on the top 3 torx bolts the left and right for bumper removal come straight off, but the middle top in the recess just spins and makes a nasty noise. I cant see any way to oil it or remove it. if the bottom under tray is removed is there access to get some pliers on a captive nut etc?

Many thanks.

The only reason I did it that was was because on the top 3 torx bolts the left and right for bumper removal come straight off, but the middle top in the recess just spins and makes a nasty noise. I cant see any way to oil it or remove it. if the bottom under tray is removed is there access to get some pliers on a captive nut etc?

Many thanks.

It’s a bit brutal but you could always grind the head off the offending torx bolt, allowing the bumper to be removed?
You would need a new bolt afterwards though .......

I had this on my s3, ended up having to drill the bolt out, which I wouldn't recommend as the bolt got a bit hot and started to melt the bumper :-/

It’s a bit brutal but you could always grind the head off the offending torx bolt, allowing the bumper to be removed?
You would need a new bolt afterwards though .......

I had this on my s3, ended up having to drill the bolt out, which I wouldn't recommend as the bolt got a bit hot and started to melt the bumper :-/

Also had to drill out the center torx.

Thanks for the replys good to know im not the only one, what holds the bolt is it one of these press in threads that starts to spin.

I think im going to have to carefully drill it out, what is required after can the thread be saved and does anyone have a part no for the replacement bolt?

Cheers.

@guysy Iirc they’re clips that slot over the bumper plastic, with a thread on one side to bolt into.

In that cast the previous owner of my last a3 had already bu@@ered them up

When you do eventually fit everything back, a small dollop of copper grease on the threads for future removal.
I’m taking my bumper off tomorrow as the rear washer in not working.

Reactions: abmat