Flashing coil light on dash on my Audi A3 1.6 TDI

kog

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Here's what happened. I took the car out and after a few miles I notices the coil light blinking, and worse still the car went into limp mode. After stopping for 5 mins I restarted the car and everything was ok, no blinking coil light, no limp mode, car was running normal all the way back home. That night I took it for a spin to check it out and after several miles the coil light and limp mode returned and like a **** in a swimming pool - unwanted!!! Engine off for a minute and back on again and all was ok once again all the way back home.

The car has not had the emissions update, its not been near a Audi garage since I heard about the recall and the problem associated with it.

My question, is this the egr valve or something to do with that system? If so what is my best option to get his sorted, i.e. new egr or egr delete? And finally is the egr delete a viable option given that it will come under MOT checks?

Thanks

No dpf regen light was on. Forgot to mention that with the GLOW PLUG coil light flashing I initially thought it was a dpf regen then remembered the regen light is different.

Last edited:
Ideally needs scanning to determine why its limping.

Whereabouts are you located?

I'm in Wrexham, North Wales. I'll take it in tomorrow see what diagnostics comes up with.

I had similar happen to my 1.6tdi. Just cruising into town, pulled out of a junction then limp mode and coil light fishing. Pulled it over and left the engine off for 2 mins. Then was fine....

Then happened again a few days later. Took it to audi and they diagnosed it as the egr system. Think it was the cooler, the moor expensive fix than just the valve.

Luckily because it was always serviced with that dealer they replaced it for free as good will. Dodged about £1400 ( I think ) they quoted for the system replacement. Was about 2 years ago and again before the emissions fix had been done.

My niece had a very similar problem a few years ago on her 1.6 TDI, intermittent limp mode and I’m sure the coil light was flashing too....
It turned out to be the electric auxiliary water pump that pumps coolant around the EGR cooler assembly , if the pump malfunctions then the EGR cooler overheats and hey presto limp mode.
A scan should pick this up though , only the common rail diesel engines have these pumps.
The OEM pump is made by Pierburg and one identical to the factory item was bought from Euro Car Parts for about £120 as opposed to £150 for the Genuine item.
It’s very easy to change as it’s only held in place by 3 screws (1 is tricky to get at) and has 2 coolant pipe connections, it’s located down the side of the engine sump and took me about 30 mins tops to change .
Don’t go changing bits until you’ve had a scan , if my niece had listened to the “experts” she would have had 4 overhauled injectors and a new EGR cooler , they all totally failed to diagnose the auxiliary coolant pump as the real culprit.....

Reactions: DrSasso
Yes could be an expensive repair if its egr. Thing is I'm going to phone Audi about a free repair because this issue with failed egr valves is very common and it looks very much like a manufacturing problem. I know VW deny the failed egr valves are caused by the fix so it sort of re-enforces that its a manufacturing fault

Took the car in to garage and its the diagnostics comes back with an egr position sensor error. Is this another egr value thats for the bin?