Feeling deflated after negotiations with a dealer

Amirh87

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just left from a dealership on a spec that I was interested in:

Black optics, tech pack, side assist.

Negotiated dealer from a $20k markup to $10k with full buyout of my current vehicle.

Sticker price out the door(after taxes & fees) was around $80k. Initially cost was close to $95k

———-

Am I crazy to find the price of the vehicle is just obscene. My payments on an 84mnth loan(!!!) we’re about $1k dead even.

This seems as an insane cost. I have an allocation waiting for me but I’m feeling very deflated about the next negotiation.
——-

Am I missing a calculation or valuation of how this car can make sense. It just seems exorbitant and OTT to purchase a vehicle like this for that price, when at that price point or even slightly lower there are a lot of other options.

Or am I missing a leverage point to make this car priced in my favor a bit better. I was expecting $3-5k markup.

God forbid, something were to happen, totaled or I needed to sell. I’m out not just a little of cash, but over 10-15k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure I understand why you're surprised as you negotiated a price with the dealer, overall cars are obscenely priced these days even in the lower end market, but RS3 would be up there.

Reactions: Alan Oliver
It still surprises me that the American market marks cars up beyond list price directly from the dealership, maybe it shouldn't though.. Surely the price should be the price when buying new otherwise what's the point in even setting out the figures from the manufacturer?

Hey all,

Negotiated dealer from a $20k markup to $10k with full buyout of my current vehicle.

Sticker price out the door(after taxes & fees) was around $80k. Initially cost was close to $95k

———-

Am I crazy to find the price of the vehicle is just obscene. My payments on an 84mnth loan(!!!) we’re about $1k dead even.

This seems as an insane cost. I have an allocation waiting for me but I’m feeling very deflated about the next negotiation.
——-

Am I missing a calculation or valuation of how this car can make sense. It just seems exorbitant and OTT to purchase a vehicle like this for that price, when at that price point or even slightly lower there are a lot of other options.

Or am I missing a leverage point to make this car priced in my favor a bit better. I was expecting $3-5k markup.

God forbid, something were to happen, totaled or I needed to sell. I’m out not just a little of cash, but over 10-15k

80,000 USD is around 68,500 UK pounds so pretty similar costs to what we pay, at 95,000 USD it's never worth that in a million years......

Hey all,

———-

——-

Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Clearly there are still plenty of people who are willing to pay a premium for the car, the dealer knows what it is worth In the current market and has priced it accordingly.

If there is something about the car you truly value then thats the price you’ll have to pay. If you think the price is obscene and for you there are other options at the same or better price point then walk away and get something else.

Absolutely no incentive for dealers to drop their prices until people stop buying.

Reactions: NevMan, RichK and Terminator x
80,000 USD is around 68,500 UK pounds so pretty similar costs to what we pay, at 95,000 USD it's never worth that in a million years......
Actually, at least here in Spain, a pretty top spec would cost around 90-95,000 EUR which is around the same as USD with today's rates. Mine had a MRSP of 98,000 EUR but negotiated down to 89,000 EUR so not far off the OP's cost.

The UK (as much as you all complain about how f**king expensive they are ) is still much cheaper than most other markets. (Ask your neighbours in Ireland how much an RS3 costs over there!).

And as for the question about:
Seriously... although it may seem a strange answer... for the price, I'm really not sure that there are many (or any?) other vehicles that can match the RS3 at the same price point... and certainly not at a lower one. Sure, there's a few options around but I don't think they match it. It is a truly special car (brought alive by the ever-present 5 pot) and although most days I use it to ferry the kids around and complain that the gearbox is sometimes clunky between 1st and 2nd and that sometimes the turbo lag is annoyingly present, there are plenty of other days when I get out of it with sweaty hands and a raised heartbeat and sweat that I will never sell it.

Reactions: NevMan, RS03???, Daggerit and 2 others
Actually, at least here in Spain, a pretty top spec would cost around 90-95,000 EUR which is around the same as USD with today's rates. Mine had a MRSP of 98,000 EUR but negotiated down to 89,000 EUR so not far off the OP's cost.

The UK (as much as you all complain about how f**king expensive they are ) is still much cheaper than most other markets. (Ask your neighbours in Ireland how much an RS3 costs over there!).

And as for the question about:

Seriously... although it may seem a strange answer... for the price, I'm really not sure that there are many (or any?) other vehicles that can match the RS3 at the same price point... and certainly not at a lower one. Sure, there's a few options around but I don't think they match it. It is a truly special car (brought alive by the ever-present 5 pot) and although most days I use it to ferry the kids around and complain that the gearbox is sometimes clunky between 1st and 2nd and that sometimes the turbo lag is annoyingly present, there are plenty of other days when I get out of it with sweaty hands and a raised heartbeat and sweat that I will never sell it.

Yup know full well about the Ireland prices.

When I bought my peasant ‘market launch’ edition the dealer (has an Irish Showroom as well as London) said the same car would be another 30k more expensive, then there’s the ridiculous Irish road tax on top of €1200.

• Wow
Reactions: PaulBCN
I’m stuck on the 84 month loan..jeez. You sure that isn’t 48