FAO S3 owners - Suspension

MattW

Finding Reverse
Reaction score
Boy is my front suspension hard, over speed bumps at slow speed it feels as though there is no give at all. At speed everything feels fine, small amount of body roll etc. Any pothole though gives an almighty thud!

I checked to see whether there were spring blocks still there and no, nothing, tyre pressures were 37.5 which if anything is below Audi recommended 39.

Just doesn't feel as soft as the demo I had, has anyone else noticed this or is it something they have forgotten to do at the PDI, remove something or such like?

Hardly any give in the front if I press the wing, although it does move slightly.

Edited to say - the handling is terrific, just worried about the noise the car makes when hitting a bump at low speeds, almost like it has no springs/dampers.

That's how Audi do sporting cars isn't it?!

I'd give it a few days and it should soften up a bit, the springs will be very new at this stage (obviously!), and everything should bed in nicely.

There isn't a harder suspension option available is there?

Maybe so, I'be been running round in an old Rover for the last few weeks and that is SOFT!!! My Impreza Sti didn't feel so hard, however maybe the fact it has a longer wheelbase helped, either that or i couldn't hear the noise over the rattles of the trim ;)

You might be able to drop the PSI a little if you don't drive sustained 100mph+ .
On my car you can run at 35psi below 100mph, 38psi above 100mph e.g autobahns.

I wouldn't say mine thuds over speedbumps but then again I go into 1st gear and crawl over them, the suspension is hard though.

Well I've stuck some more air in the tyres as the recommended values are 39/30 and they were reading 35/25. Coupled with the music on it doesn't feel so bad :). To be fair the bump is not transferred through the steering wheel so nothing seems amiss, I suspect it will soften up slightly but i'm not going to worry about it.

Took it back to Audi and they had left a bush in on both sides. Removed now and my fillings are recovering.

DOH!

Was gonna say it really does sound like a trnasit bush left in there. ***, how many times do dealers leave them things in. And you are paying for the PDI you know!

Happened to me wiht the only new car I ever bought. Happens loads and loads. Personally, if I were doing a PDI on a new car, knowing how often dealers fap this up, it would be the first thing I'd do, remove the ****** blocks!

Wonder what would have happened if you'd have bumped it with them fitted, understeered off the road a bit and damaged it.......what would audi say....?

It cannot be the best thing for the shell, either! !

MUpppet dealers, get my back up!!

I thought you said you'd checked for anything in the suspension and found nothing - just how well hidden are these things!?

No block as such Vertigo, this just looked like part of the top mount, but underneath the mount if you get my drift. A lay person wouldn't know unless they had another car to compare.

All the same, the suspension is quite firm. It's a lot harder than the MKV Golf GTI.

But IMO Tooks is right, that's how Audi DO sports suspensions.

Clarkson said the new RS4 is the only sports Audi he's driven that didn't feel too hard.