Fans running full speed when car is shut down?

Kondax

Reaction score
Bit of a strange question. I have a 2014 A3, and today when I shut the car down the front fan went full speed. I went indoors and assumed the car was cooling down, but it was still running full speed 5 minutes later.

I went outside and started the car up, the fans stopped so I shut the car down again. No fans this time.

I know this has happened on my father's A5 before, I cannot remember if the fans automatically shut off or not however.

Has anybody else has this happen? Is there a specific reason?

Thanks.

Bit of a strange question. I have a 2014 A3, and today when I shut the car down the front fan went full speed. I went indoors and assumed the car was cooling down, but it was still running full speed 5 minutes later.

I went outside and started the car up, the fans stopped so I shut the car down again. No fans this time.

I know this has happened on my father's A5 before, I cannot remember if the fans automatically shut off or not however.

Has anybody else has this happen? Is there a specific reason?

Thanks.
Is it a diesel ?

Yep, both vehicles are diesel
Will be the regen then mate, every few hundred miles (usually if your only doing short journeys) the car will run through a regen ie it will burn off excess soot in the exhaust DPF (diesel particulate filter). When it does this the fans can run for a while to cool the motor/exhaust. Perfectly normal mate, but make sure you take the car out for a good blast every now and then.

Reactions: KenL and Kondax
Will be the regen then mate, every few hundred miles (usually if your only doing short journeys) the car will run through a regen ie it will burn off excess soot in the exhaust DPF (diesel particulate filter). When it does this the fans can run for a while to cool the motor/exhaust. Perfectly normal mate, but make sure you take the car out for a good blast every now and then.
Thanks, really helpful to know. First car so still a lot of little things to pick up haha. I'll make sure to let it run its full course next time it occurs.

Reactions: Jcbmally
I can remember parking my Golf mid way through a DPF regen with the fans screaming and that faint burning smell, a random passer by stopped and asked 'dude is your car ok ?'

Reactions: SamR92
I can remember parking my Golf mid way through a DPF regen with the fans screaming and that faint burning smell, a random passer by stopped and asked 'dude is your car ok ?'
Haha, I was really confused when it happened

Reactions: Chris43
Yep 100% dpf regen. It’s alarming the first time it happens and then you just think “oh yeah”.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Kondax
Mine run at the moment, but it's just cooling down because of the stupid weather atm.

To me, it simply sounds like the engine cooling down so possibly hot oil left in the turbo that hasn't been given chance to cycle out (since you would have switched the engine off as soon as you arrived to your destination) won't damage said turbo . You would need to have the engine running and revving quite highly to be regening, can't burn away all that soot with just the fan running

Mine run at the moment, but it's just cooling down because of the stupid weather atm.
Same here, hopefully just the weather.
What's with the quiet beep coming from the engine bay also? Controller for the fans perhaps?

What's with the quiet beep coming from the engine bay also? Controller for the fans perhaps?

I think it's something to do with the turbo... not sure what though. It's been asked before, so it's normal.

I think it's something to do with the turbo... not sure what though. It's been asked before, so it's normal.

Interested in this. My car does something similar. I rarely drive fast to be honest, but when I do, my car makes a quiet beeping / chirping sound when shut down. The only way I can describe it is like a Morse code!! I've not taken it to the dealers yet because, like I say, I rarely drive quickly so I don't often hear the sound.

Is this the same thing that others are experiencing?

Edit: Just to add, my car has the 2.0TFSI engine.

Interested in this. My car does something similar. I rarely drive fast to be honest, but when I do, my car makes a quiet beeping / chirping sound when shut down. The only way I can describe it is like a Morse code!! I've not taken it to the dealers yet because, like I say, I rarely drive quickly so I don't often hear the sound.

Yeah I'd probably describe it as morse code. Sometimes it only lasts a few seconds but other occasions it coupe last for like a minute. Hasn't done it too much recently though. I tried to capture it on video once but too quiet to pick it up really.

If it's what I think it is; I've always believed it to be the engine cooling down, possibly the coolant fizzing or components cooling down and changing size slightly

To minimise engine wear caused by stop start technology, on top of the main oil and water pumps modern engines have auxiliary pumps powered by electric motors. These will run after the ignition is killed to cool the turbo etc. I bet this is what you hear

Reactions: davemk
To minimise engine wear caused by stop start technology, on top of the main oil and water pumps modern engines have auxiliary pumps powered by electric motors. These will run after the ignition is killed to cool the turbo etc. I bet this is what you hear
Ahh, I've always wondered about this! Thank you!