Factory towbar

johnh8picc

Reaction score
hi, anyone thinking of getting the towbar option. I have one on my a4 avant, and it's a nice option for me as when not in use it folds away out of sight. At around £850, it's expensive, but when you consider the cost of an aftermarket towbar (towbar,electrics,fitting) it's either on show, or you have to find a place for the detached towbar neck( and keys). All you need do is press a button in the boot and it swings down from underneath, to stow it away, just push it back up again. In my opinion, it's the best way to go. No drilling, taking bumpers off etc. And factory fitting means it's covered by the warranty.

Yep - have it spec'd on my order.

As it's a company car, their policy states it has to be a factory option (i.e. I cannot retrofit one), so yeah I had to sink for the £850 which meant I had to cut back on some other 'toys'! Shame it's manual folding as most other VAG cars in this segment are automatic (i.e. Passat). I can live with that for the more premium feel the A4 has!

Someone else on here pointed out there is an electric version in the "towing pack" but apparently that's not available to spec yet. Shame as it's not much more than the manual folding option and I believe adds on the trailer assist if you take the parking pack.

Hi Maui, in the mmi screen you get a line guide for the trailer but I haven't used it yet, so I can't give any feedback on its usefulness. Pity there's no electrical opinion yet, but it's still OK for me. The only thing I miss is that it's a plain neck and ball, so no protection if you're not careful hitching up your trailer/caravan.

Nice - I didn't take the parking pack, so will have just the basic optical parking which comes with MY17 which is good enough! I'd rather have the driver assist stuff instead

hi, anyone thinking of getting the towbar option. I have one on my a4 avant, and it's a nice option for me as when not in use it folds away out of sight. At around £850, it's expensive, but when you consider the cost of an aftermarket towbar (towbar,electrics,fitting) it's either on show, or you have to find a place for the detached towbar neck( and keys). All you need do is press a button in the boot and it swings down from underneath, to stow it away, just push it back up again. In my opinion, it's the best way to go. No drilling, taking bumpers off etc. And factory fitting means it's covered by the warranty.
Be interested if you had a photograph of tow bar in tow position and folded away.