Factory iPod connection

phat.sam

Reaction score
Ok, on my recently purchased A3 I have discovered an iPod connection in the glove box. It seems to work fine with my iPhone but doesn't charge.

However, when you hit a bump or in my case accelerate quickly the iPhone shoots out of the connection area.

So, I purchased an extension cable from a certain on line auction site. It was only £4.99. The idea bring i could plug it in and have it resting in the glove box. Problem is, it doesn't work at all. The lead works fine if you try it on the mains to charge so I know the lead is good.

Any ideas Why this isn't working in the car and if there any better ways to connect my iPod/iPhone to the seemingly useless dock in the glove box?

Sorry if this has been covered before and thanks in advance.

....seemingly useless dock in the glove box.

Unfortunately I ordered this on my A3, and you've hit the nail on the head as regards how functional it is.

What model of iphone do you have? I've used my old 3GS and me new 4S and they both charge with the glovebox dock. I have found that it's easier to insert if you insert it from the side and then give it a good shove to push it all the way home. If you've not shoved it all the way home, I find that it will connect to the head unit but it won't charge.

The fact that it's coming loose under acceleration suggests that it's not pushed tight into the dock connector.

You shouldn't have a problem with it coming loose if it's pushed in properly, however I did add a little bit of sticky self adhesive rubber to the inside of the dock connector to make sure the 4S fits snugly, isn't at an angle and it stops it getting scratched during use (my 3GS got scratched to hell that way).

Hope that helps.

My car has an ipod dock, but as I'm not an apple fanboi I have no use for it. Can it be adapted to work with android?

Doesn't matter how hard I push it in it still doesn't "click".

My phone is the 4s. Unfortunately no charging. Something does come up on the screen but you can't read it coz of the angle and depth.

Maybe I need a voltage converter? Still, would much rather source something that would have tracks etc displayed on screen.

Thanks for the tips tho danA3T

Doesn't matter how hard I push it in it still doesn't "click".

My phone is the 4s. Unfortunately no charging. Something does come up on the screen but you can't read it coz of the angle and depth.

Maybe I need a voltage converter? Still, would much rather source something that would have tracks etc displayed on screen.

Thanks for the tips tho danA3T

You need a voltage converter as they changed the charge supply on the apple products from 12v to 5v I think. Apple sell a covertoer for the car, I ordered one and it works a treat, it also helps with the not so well fitting problem as the phone rests on the glovebox lid when shut. I will find the link for you...

Here it is, this isn't where I got it from, I got mine from Apple iPod iPhone Charge Adapter/Convert​er 12V to 5V CTIPOD | eBay

Last edited:
Seriously, the 4S does charge in the Audi fitted ipod dock, no need for any adaptors or other shizzle.

It's a poor design no question, did you try putting it in 'sideways' as in, viewing from the top, put the passenger side of the iphone in first into the dock and then it will click nicely and the phone makes the chime to indicate it's connected and charging.

I have a number of live-updating smart playlists on my iphone which auto rotate the music around as i listen to it, which means I can select a different genre using the CD1 - CD5 buttons on the head unit. Best of a bad situation.

Seriously, the 4S does charge in the Audi fitted ipod dock, no need for any adaptors or other shizzle.

It's a poor design no question, did you try putting it in 'sideways' as in, viewing from the top, put the passenger side of the iphone in first into the dock and then it will click nicely and the phone makes the chime to indicate it's connected and charging.

I have a number of live-updating smart playlists on my iphone which auto rotate the music around as i listen to it, which means I can select a different genre using the CD1 - CD5 buttons on the head unit. Best of a bad situation.

Yours may charge, but you have a 2010 car, mine and the OP are 2007 cars....

My car has an ipod dock, but as I'm not an apple fanboi I have no use for it. Can it be adapted to work with android?

Afraid not. After tearing one of these OEM docks apart to use it with an aftermarket head unit, I can say with confidence that it can not be made to work with Android (or any other non-Apple device.)

Best bet would be to use a 3.5mm aux input.

TBH the best solution for the iphone/ipod would be the ami system with an rns-e, sits in a neat rubber tray as such & plugs into a cable, sits nice & snug inside the glovebox safely, but then there's the cost factor which isnt small at all, so as said if you want a cheap solution then auxin socket is good enough, but all control of tunes would be via the iphone & no track, artist etc data on head unit, there are aftermarket solutions like dension that use the dis, not even same ballgame if you ask me, but seems to suffice pricewise for some, all down to cost & what you prefer :)