Factory fitted BOSE, speakers can't take the bass, sound flat?

Rip

Reaction score
The BOSE amp in my car has just been repaired due to water damage, it was damaged when I bought the car so this is the first time I've been able to listen to the stereo with the amp installed and working (yes I fixed the water leak first).

I've noticed it doesn't take much bass at all to overwhelm the speakers, hard to explain but when a speaker is given too much bass it makes that unmistakable flappy flat sound.

I've tried fading and balancing the sound just to see if any one speaker is worse but I can't really pinpoint it so I assume they all sound a bit dodgy when any bass is applied. Currently all the equaliser settings are set at the default (12o'clock) position and if I turn the bass up much more than that it does not sound that great at all.

I currently have some 320kbps mp3's on the SD card so I'll try some proper CD's over the next few days as well.
A mate of mines Bang an Olufsen in his similar age A5 sounds much much better and handles bass brilliantly, I guess that's because he has a factory sub in there somewhere and as far as I can see the TTS does not have a sub. But still, I would have thought I should have been able to get bass that doesn't sound all distorted and flat.

Could I replace the main door speakers and the speakers in the rear for aftermarket and keep the factory tweeters in the dash? Would that help?

Last edited: