Face lift or preface lift s3

matthewsarg

Reaction score
been after an s3 for a couple months I've got 10k to spend at the moment , what I want is a white 3dr s3 I did want the facelift model but they seem to be pretty hard to find with my budget. But I've seen quite a few preface lift .

Now my question is, is there a huge difference between them. Is it worth saving for a few more months to get a facelift ,

Thanks

Matt

Now my question is, is there a huge difference between them.

In short no, there isn't any huge differences between the pre-facelift and facelift 8P. There are only negligible differences between the two of which the main ones are:
  • Head Lights
  • Front Bumper
  • Grill Size
  • Fog Surrounds
  • Tail Lights
  • Alloys
  • More Internal Aluminium Trim
  • Improved Emissions
It's down to personal preference to be honest mate, I prefer the head lights on the pre-facelift but then tail lights on the facelift. All in all I wouldn't let it affect your decision on what model to get.

Does the facelift not have more power? Pre-Facelift is 265BHP and the Facelift is 290-ish?

Nah they're both running 261bhp mate, the 8V comes in at 295bhp .

been after an s3 for a couple months I've got 10k to spend at the moment , what I want is a white 3dr s3 I did want the facelift model but they seem to be pretty hard to find with my budget. But I've seen quite a few preface lift .

Now my question is, is there a huge difference between them. Is it worth saving for a few more months to get a facelift ,

Thanks

Matt
When did the face-lift of the s3 come out?

Due for another face-lift then soon?

The 8P had a facelift in 2008 and then another minor one in 2009 which was it until production ended in 2012. The new 8V model came out in 2013 of which the first facelift version is coming out this year.

Last edited:
Facelift has improved haldex as well , I would think you would easily get a facelift for 10k , I would get a facelift if you can tbh .... Different display in the dash , flat bottom wheel, it all adds up to be quite different ...

Facelift has improved haldex as well , I would think you would easily get a facelift for 10k , I would get a facelift if you can tbh .... Different display in the dash , flat bottom wheel, it all adds up to be quite different ...

The flat bottom steering wheel is an optional extra on both versions, mines a pre-facelift and came with one.

If there was two identical 8Ps spec and mileage wise, then I'd obviously go with with facelift just because of the minor revisions which have been made over the initial design. However, no-one could ever tell the difference between driving the two though, so I wouldn't let the fact that a pre-facelift is a couple of years older prevent someone from buying it.

Reactions: DangerS3

Mines a prefacelift and has a flat bottom steering wheel.

It's got to be personal opinion, if you prefer the look of the facelift then I would say hold out and get one. If you buy a pre-facelift and your heart was set on a facelift then you may regret not holding out.
Overall the cars will be of a muchness the same to drive, although facelift has a gen4 haldex I would say it would be hard to notice the difference day to day. The interiors will be a little different I've had a pre-facelift A3 and compared to the S3 facelift I have now there are a few differences.

For your budget there should be quite some choice, I would just be sure that it has been properly maintained, cambelt & waterpump, the all important Haldex service and run on the good petrol.

There's plenty of retro fitters around so if you go pre-facelift you can always get things like the flat bottom fitted, Bose, Sat Nav. Even updating the front end to a facelift if you want to.
Good luck and either way you will enjoy an S3 so good luck with the search

Yeah yeah , I know the flat bottom was an option pfl, but is standard on face lift ...

Last edited:
Thanks guys, yeah think I will hold out for a facelift, I prefer the headlights and the rear lights and don't want to be kicking myself for not getting what I wanted