Exhaust upgrade

HARRIM00

Reaction score
So, after multiple searches of different forum and hours spent on the internet (and with a little help from RAF_S7) I have been searching for a local company who can do the upgrades that I want.

Close to me I do have a couple of the standard exhaust shops that a short period of time spent on the web results in a number of bad reviews, so I widened my search in the hope that i would find a more reputable company.

I found an outfit that has a very good reputation in the race community that are a large sponsor of a well known race team, however they did not really want to get involved in road cars. My search continued until I spoke to a guy called Andy at another company that is well known in classic car and race circles. He talked to me for way longer than he should have as I'm sure he had better things to do but in doing so ticked all the right boxes. He didn't give outlandish claims on performance increases, or immediately promised useless lifetime warranties that aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Andy spoke about what was important and why it was important to do things the right way. He was genuinely concerned about poorly thought out rush jobs that could end up damaging your pride and joy. He has enough work to be getting on with but has still promised to fit me in.

I'm not going to tell you who Andy works for or even where he is based at the moment, I will use this thread to document my experience. In this way you can see that neither I nor Andy and his organisation gain anything from this and my review can be completely neutral.

We have talked about the tried and tested resonator delete with an x pipe replacing the centre section. I suspect this is what we will do but I'm open to any other suggestions that he, or you, may have. I want more noise. I don't want significantly more noise I just want more. I also like the standard look rather than massive 4inch pipes coming out the back, and I don't want to have to remortgage to have it.

Additional info.

I have a late 2016 S7 with 17k miles on it. It is a C7.5 and has no other mods at the moment.

I've been looking at just replacing the standard filter with a K&N filter. Everything will look standard just a bit better

First thing I did was put a K&N on mine.......

Unfortunately I then got addicted to modding the 7 and haven’t stopped :yum:

Reactions: Terminator x
I don't expect any difference in performance or sound, it more about the ability to clean and reuse.

You can hear the turbo’s spool up more with the K&N, and you’ll get maybe 10bhp more since your removing a restriction on the air intake side.

Today's update. Visited the workshop and had a good discussion about what I wanted to achieve, what options there were and what they recommended. Firstly not all x pipes are the same. X pipes in general provide greatest benefit on NA cars, that's not to say they don't offer any advantage on a turbo car but are less critical. Add that to the valve system on the S6/S7 and with their x pipe (remember not all x pipes are the same) the recommendation is to fit the x pipe up front. There were also discussions about the benefit of a balance pipe in the centre but we will have to see what works best when it goes back to build and test. This is likely to cause some controversy however the internet is full of examples with straight pipes, x's, h's, balance pipes, full exhaust muffler deletes, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

These guys are awesome. Yes you can get something cheap that gives you a lot more sound, you can also get something that is a little more expensive that will last and maybe give you more sound but a nicer sound, or you can pay a bit more for a piece of art which looks good, is of a very high quality so will last longer, sounds awesome but also provides the best environment to gain a few extra horses.

It's going in on the 19th and I'll ask them to take a lot of pictures. Can't wait.

Reactions: RAF_S7
Good news, due to a cancellation, date has been pulled forward to tomorrow. Will have an update within a day or so.

I am glued to this thread as I am about to pick up an S7 (C7.5) on Monday and I am looking at the exhaust as my first mod (for flow as much as sound), please update as soon as you can I will be taking notes. Btw RAF_S7 thanks for the K&N filter tip that’s now on the list.

If you really want to step up the sound, then I would recommend fitting an aftermarket CAI (Cold Air Intake)

I’ve been through most of them, and I’m currently on the Everturi carbon intake.

I have a set of RocEuro intakes in my garage (filters need cleaning) if anyone is interested in making an offer. I imported them from the US, and were on the car about 15 months before being swapped out for the Eventuri. :racer:

I might be interested, what colour are the intakes and what’s your rough view on how much you want for them?

I might be interested, what colour are the intakes and what’s your rough view on how much you want for them?

Where are you located Stuart?

They are finished in black.

Looking for about £130 plus postage, unless your close and we can meet (I’m in North Hampshire area, so M3/M4 ish.

They are heavy and quite bulky, so collection/meet would be easiest. Postage would be at cost if required.

As I said the filters do need cleaning, otherwise completely fine.

I am in Bristol, not that far away. For that sort of money I am interested, I am picking up the car Monday and then am busy for most of the week but the company I work for are based in didcot so at some point next week I could pop round and buy them from you, let me have a look at where I am next week and I’ll come back to you either later tonight or tomorrow morning after I speak to my manager

A little teaser.
Rps20190307 193906

Rps20190307 220734
Ooh shiny.

All done and returned home. I am well impressed. It is subtle but pops and bangs when wanted. Close the valves and its child and oap friendly. Open them up and the fun begins. It's not obnoxious it's just what it should have been from the factory. It already feels more responsive with no negative effects inside.

So over the weekend I hope to do a few videos with a bit of before and after and a better write up of my experience so far.

Wanted to get some sound files up with a comparison on YouTube but all I'm picking up at the moment is wind noise. From inside the car there us a difference but not annoyingly loud. Outside is way better. I love the rapid gunfire that you get when you change down on deceleration, should give a few granny's a heart attack. Taking the car to France in a month via ferry, going to sound awesome on the ferry and through the lovely tunnels we drive through.

Getting decent video is easy. Getting decent sound is a nightmare, especially if your using a GoPro type deal with their built in mic.

Most people do a start up video - camera stationary behind the car when you start up.

Others have a mate video a flypast, which gives you a good indication of real world noise.

Either way, glad you like it. I only ever drive in Dynamic with the box in sports mode since l had mine done :racer:

Reactions: Terminator x

So this goes to show I'm not a video editing expert or very good at posting links but I hope this works and it gives you an idea. If I get more time tomorrow I will give an update and hope to do some more video soon.

Quick update. Have been in France for a couple of weeks. Done around 1000 miles. The car draws attention everywhere and all positive. It looks totally standard and has the chrome trim so doesn't attract the wrong type of attention. Tick over gives a lovely burble and cruising on the auto routes gave no drone. In fact it was hard to tell any difference at speeds between 80 and 90. Changing up through the box gives some lovely sounds, reminiscent of our S3 310ps, and early down changes result in an abundance of pops and bangs and huge smiles on your face. Still 100% pleased with the results and an awesome piece of kit.

Sounds fantastic. I have been considering an upgrade for my 63 plate diesel A7. I was tempted to upgrade to the stock exhaust + sound module from the BiTdi. At £1,200 it does seem quite expensive. Curious to know what you paid for yours?

£800. Not sure what it will sound like on a diesel but would definitely be better.

Reactions: A7 Black Edition