ESP Functionality

Stevofoz

Reaction score
Hi All,

Could someone please confirm just how the S3 ESP is supposed to function?

With all the wonderful weather we've had lately I have found myself spinning the wheels on wet roads on occasion and have discovered that as soon as the front lets go (not that I'm hooning it around but I live in a rural area and our roads are notoriously muddy/gravelly at all junctions) the engine management cuts the revs whilst flashing the ESP light at me. This in turn means that; should I be attempting to get out of my road on to the busy B Road at the end, I find myself like a sitting duck temporarily and then kangarooing away. I can stop it doing this by pressing the ESP button which illuminates the ESP dash light constantly which in turn I guess disables the ESP. This way, as soon as the fronts let go I feel the rears kick in and have masses of traction.

Is this how the ESP is supposed to function as I feel much more confident in the car without it's interfering.

Hi, yes the esp plays a big part in monitoring slip/skidding but from what i know the n249 valve is your problem here... Im not saying it is at fault but the opposite its doing its job by dumping the boost when loss of traction is being detected.. This is why alot of people perform the n249 valve bypass so the ecu carnt stick its nose in and cut your power off when u need it.

Just switch it off! My S3 doesn't even have ESP, I've never had a problem(ignore the sideways vid! :laugh:).

Reactions: sssline, gabin, Lavis89 and 1 other person
Probably should have said that I have already done the N249 delete as the pipes were all in a bad way.

I will stick with turning the interfering old nag off for now then as that seems to be the best way forward!

I just wanted to check that it was doing what it is supposed to do as it seems a bit harsh the way it cuts all power, not a 'subtle driver aid' as most of these things are badged nowadays!

Guessing your car is mapped... ESP is a ball ache on mapped cars... I turn mine off and thats with 400 hp...

Just remember that ESP is not actually that good... its not like the kit an Evo has and won't make you a better driver...

On an unmapped car ESP doesn't feel as intrusive. .. on a mapped car it feels like its coming in like an anvil

<tuffty/>

Reactions: JD09
As far as I know my car is completely standard and on the OE map, though I'm not sure it will stay that way for long as you guys on here have a fantastic way of opening up the possibilities!

I don't suppose it's possible to disable the ESP permanently is it? Or am I missing something that it adds to the whole package?

I love having a prefacelift s3 haha.

Reactions: gabin, jojo and kwistof
I love having a prefacelift s3 haha.

One of the main reasons I purchased a pre-facelift after having a facelift S3 tbh...got fed up with having to press the ESP button :)

Got stuck in snow once in the wife's old A3 1.8t only by turning the esp off did we manage to get out of the drift it need some decent revs and dumped clutch and the 4wd system sort its self out

im having a problem with mine , problem being i cant turn it off. the lights on constantly ? any suggestions please

im having a problem with mine , problem being i cant turn it off. the lights on constantly ? any suggestions please

As epox said above really, there's an issue/fault

Plug the car into VCDS and see what fault codes come up as it could be a sensor failure

ok cheers. ive had it coded off by a local garage but they coudnt tell me what was the problem. its due service this month due wondered in advance, thanks peeps

ABS light also on the dashboard? If so, as mention chances are you have an ABS sensor gone. (Have one in my glove box to fit at the weekend!)