Engine swap possibilities

tupelo

Reaction score
Ok, so my long suffering S3 (APY) engine is finally out of the car waiting to be stripped.

Before I find out the cause of my problems (an ominous knocking) - I've spotted a couple of spare engines on ebay.

I've found an (APY) with less mileage; but I also spotted a (BAM) 225 version.

You can guess where I'm going with this right?

If I was looking for the BAM replacement - is it going to fit? What about wiring and ECU etc?

Thoughts appreciated.

T.

The engine will fit just the same, but i'd imagine u'd need the ecu and the wiring might be different too.

I have exactly the same problem (knocking) and am looking at the same thing (engine out) ... let me know if you find the cause of it, mines due to be looked at on wednesday.

rickparmar said:
whats the difference in the engines, AYP, BAM and AMK

I think the APY was non-DBW, so putting in a drive-by-wire engine will cause allsorts of issues.

Ed, any chance of sorting out your sig pic size?

jojo said:
Correct, my APY is DBW, don't listen to Chris! all that BHP is starting to mess his mind up!! :moa:

lol

What is vvt in the engine ?

vvt = variable valve timing ... not to be confused with VVT on Hondas or Toyotas though, only works on idle I think I remember reading somewhere.

jojo said:
Correct, my APY is DBW, don't listen to Chris! all that BHP is starting to mess his mind up!! :moa:

Quite possible! I have my mind on other things, and I wasn't 100% sure when I said it (but I knew you'd be along to correct me if I was wrong;)).

Im pretty sure the APY is vvt but its a mechincal simpler version the the electronic vvt on the AMK-BAM

Apparently the pistons are larger on the APY shorter stroke or something

242spot said:
Im pretty sure the APY is vvt but its a mechincal simpler version the the electronic vvt on the AMK-BAM

Apparently the pistons are larger on the APY shorter stroke or something

The vvt is operated by Solenoid and mechanical on APY and electrical in operation on AMK and BAM engines IIRC. it's only there to make the car's emmisions Euro compliant during idle as mentioned earlier in the post.

APY engines have 20mm Piston pins as oppsed to 19mm ones in AMK and BAM engines... this is all info I have picked up on from reading these forums, so correct me if I'm wrong!

jojo said:
The vvt is operated by Solenoid and mechanical on APY and electrical in operation on AMK and BAM engines IIRC. it's only there to make the car's emmisions Euro compliant during idle as mentioned earlier in the post.

APY engines have 20mm Piston pins as oppsed to 19mm ones in AMK and BAM engines... this is all info I have picked up on from reading these forums, so correct me if I'm wrong!

Doesn't your APY have a larger ported head too?

eurospec do some nice strong engines. i hear the exchange rate is good as well, lots of potential for tuning if thats what your into.

no, the APY has the small port heads. i think only the AGU on the A/S3 series has large ports.

Same bore, stroke & capacity for apy and bam. Use block/head (or whatever's broken from bam). Fit hydraulic cam chain tensioner from apy to bam head and it'll then be non-vvt.
ECU will cope.

Finally got the car back today, with a new block and some other refinements.
Turns out the "knocking" was a shattered middle piston ring on the 3rd cylinder; I now have it in a plastic bag to remind me of the pain. The conrod on the same cylinder was also slightly bent; as a result of the piston ring there was oil residue over the valves and manifold port.

Contemplated replacing all the internals - opted for the new block from Audi with 12 months warranty.

T.